- "This was your grandfather's. He was one of the Navy's first frogmen during World War II. [...] But after the war, his country forgot about him. So, he went back to the sea, scavenging and surviving with his wit... and this knife."
- ―Jesse Kane to David Kane about the knife of his father.[src]
World War II, or the Second World War (often abbreviated as WWII or WW2), was a global war that was under way by 1939 and ended in 1945. It involved a vast majority of the world's nations—including all of the great powers—eventually forming two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. Various advanced weapons were made during the war, and the Axis conquered many countries in Europe, Africa, and Asia.
The grandfather of David Kane fought in World War II as one of the Navy's first "frogmen" (code-named "Manta" for his stealthiness). It is not known how well he performed, or what exactly he did during the war, but based on Jesse's testimony, his deeds apparently earned him the respect and admiration of his peers.
After the war ended, however, the United States of America decided to forget about what Kane had done during the war; and thus, he returned to the sea and survived by scavenging and using his wits.
Behind the Scenes
- ↑ Man of Steel: Inside the Legendary World of Superman
- ↑ Wonder Woman
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 This is an event from real world history, referenced in the DC Extended Universe.
- ↑ Blackhawk
- ↑ Wallace, Daniel (February 16, 2016). Time Out Shortlist Gotham and Metropolis (Gotham City). United States: Time Out. p. 15, 38.
- ↑ Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
- ↑ Wallace, Daniel (February 16, 2016). Time Out Shortlist Gotham and Metropolis (Gotham City). United States: Time Out. p. 9.
- ↑ Suicide Squad
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Aquaman
- ↑ Aquaman: The Junior Novel
- ↑ Wonder Woman: The Official Movie Novelization
- ↑ Batman's Technologies 'Justice League' Behind The Scenes