- "This was your grandfather's. He was one of the Navy's first frogmen during World War II. [...] But after the war, his country forgot about him. So, he went back to the sea, scavenging and surviving with his wit... and this knife."
- ―Jesse Kane to David Kane about the knife of his father.[src]
It involved a vast majority of the world's nations—including all of the great powers—eventually forming two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. Various advanced weapons were made during the war, and the Axis conquered many countries in Europe, Africa, and Asia.
In 1918, Ares predicted that Humans would have continued to making warfare, in particular Germany as he previously had mentioned that it was a proud nation. This proved to be true when Adolf Hitler rose to power and provoked World War II.
Outbreak of War
Louvre Museum Raid
The grandfather of David Kane fought in World War II as one of the Navy's first "frogmen" (code-named "Manta" for his stealthiness). It is not known how well he performed, or what exactly he did during the war, but based on Jesse's testimony, his deeds apparently earned him the respect and admiration of his peers.
End of the War
After the war ended, however, the United States of America decided to forget about what "Manta" had done during the war; and thus, he returned to the sea and survived by scavenging and using his wits.
Behind the scenes
- Wallace, Dan (June 18, 2013). Man of Steel: Inside the Legendary World of Superman. United States: Insight Editions.
- Cox, Greg (June 18, 2013). Man of Steel: The Official Movie Novelization. Great Britain: Titan Books.
- Wonder Woman
- This is an event from real world history, referenced in the DC Extended Universe.
- Glass, Calliope (July 7, 2020). Wonder Woman 1984: The Junior Novel. United States: HarperCollins.
- Holder, Nancy (June 6, 2017). Wonder Woman: The Official Movie Novelization. Great Britain: Titan Books.
- Goyer, David S., Terrio, Chris (writers) & Snyder, Zack (director) (March 25, 2016). Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.
- Wallace, Daniel (February 16, 2016). Time Out Shortlist Gotham and Metropolis (Gotham City). United States: Time Out. p. 9.
- Ayer, David (writer and director) (August 5, 2016). Suicide Squad.
- Beall, Will, Wan, James, Johns, Geoff (writers) & Wan, James (director) (December 21, 2018). Aquaman.
- McCann, Jim (November 6, 2018). Aquaman: The Junior Novel. United States: HarperCollins.
- Gunn, James (writer and director) (August 6, 2021). The Suicide Squad.
- "Batman's Technologies 'Justice League' Behind The Scenes [+Subtitles]" - YouTube