This article is about upcoming content and is subject to change. You can help the DC Extended Universe Wiki by when it becomes available.
- "Welcome to Task Force X. Love 'em or hate 'em, these are your brothers and sisters for the next few days."
- ―Rick Flag to Savant[src]
The Suicide Squad is a 2021 superhero comedy film based on the DC Comics team of the same name. The film is the sequel to Suicide Squad. It is the tenth installment in the DC Extended Universe, and released on August 1, 2021. It released in theatres and on HBO Max the same day, making it the second DCEU film to do so after Wonder Woman 1984. It will also be the DCEU's fourth R-rated film, after Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - Ultimate Edition, Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn), and Zack Snyder's Justice League.
The film is directed by James Gunn and stars Margot Robbie, Idris Elba, John Cena, Joel Kinnaman, Jai Courtney, Peter Capaldi, Alice Braga, Pete Davidson, David Dastmalchian, Michael Rooker, Taika Waititi, Nathan Fillion, Storm Reid, Daniela Melchior, Steve Agee, Sean Gunn, Joaquín Cosío, Juan Diego Botto, Julio Ruiz, Flula Borg, Tinashe Kajese, Mayling Ng, Jennifer Holland, and Viola Davis.
A spin-off television series, Peacemaker, is set to release in January 2022.
Welcome to hell — a.k.a. Belle Reve, the prison with the highest mortality rate in the US of A. Where the worst Super-Villains are kept and where they will do anything to get out—even join the super-secret, super-shady Task Force X. Today’s do-or-die assignment? Assemble a collection of cons, including Bloodsport, Peacemaker, Captain Boomerang, Ratcatcher 2, Savant, King Shark, Blackguard, Javelin, and everyone’s favorite psycho, Harley Quinn. Then arm them heavily and drop them (literally) on the remote, enemy-infused island of Corto Maltese. Trekking through a jungle teeming with militant adversaries and guerrilla forces at every turn, the Squad is on a search-and- destroy mission with only Colonel Rick Flag on the ground to make them behave...and Amanda Waller’s government techies in their ears, tracking their every movement. And as always, one wrong move and they’re dead (whether at the hands of their opponents, a teammate, or Waller herself). If anyone’s laying down bets, the smart money is against them—all of them.
Commanded by Amanda Waller, imprisoned convicts of Belle Reve penitentiary are sent as members of Task Force X to the South American island of Corto Maltese to destroy Jotunheim, a Nazi-era prison and laboratory which held political prisoners and conducted experiments.The Thinker, a telepathic metahuman, works with the government as the laboratory's scientist, overseeing "Project Starfish" involving a giant starfish-like creature.
The team, consisting of Harley Quinn, Rick Flag, Captain Boomerang, along with new team members The Detachable Kid, Mongal, Javelin, Savant, Blackguard, and Weasel, are deployed onto a Corto Maltese beach in order to infiltrate the island and destroy the lab. After being ambushed by the regime's soldiers, all but Harley and Flag are killed. Harley is captured while Flag disappears into the jungle. Meanwhile, supporting team members Bloodsport, King Shark, Ratcatcher, Polka-Dot Man and Peacemaker are dispatched to find and extract Rick.
The team discovers a rural base and they kill the soldiers stealthily. Hearing commotion from one of the tents, they encounter Rick socializing with Sol Soria, leader of a group of freedom fighters opposing the regime, and realize they have killed some of the rebels. Nevertheless, they convince Soria to join forces with them in stopping Silvio Luna, the dictator of Corto Maltese.
A captive Harley is taken to Luna's palace and it is revealed that he wants Harley to be his partner. After a short fling, Luna proposes to Harley and in response, she shoots him in the chest. Harley is subsequently arrested by Luna's men and tortured as a result.
Meanwhile, the rest of the team stakeout a nightclub, waiting for The Thinker to arrive to use him as a method of infiltrating Jotunheim. Shortly after his arrival, Luna's soldiers raid the club looking for the team. Ratcatcher and King Shark leave with The Thinker while Rick, Bloodsport and Peacemaker create a diversion by surrendering to the soldiers. While being transported, they are told by one of the soldiers that Harley is alive and being interrogated by Luna's second-in-command General Suarez. The team manage to escape by killing the soldiers and crashing the convoy. Ratcatcher and King Shark reunite with the rest of the team and agree to save Harley before resuming the mission.
Back at the palace, Harley escapes and proceeds to kill the palace's guards, finally exiting and meeting the rest of the team who were on their way into the palace to save her. The team sneaks into Jotunheim and begins to rig the building with explosives while the regime's army surrounds the building. The group splits in two to complete their tasks. Harley, Bloodsport and Polka-Dot Man head for other floors to continue setting explosives. They are attacked by soldiers and in panic, Polka-Dot Man releases his metahuman powers, promptly triggering the bombs to go off.
The building begins to collapse. Bloodsport is separated from the rest as he falls down the building with the debris. Flag, Ratcatcher, Peacemaker and The Thinker are down in the underground laboratory where the creature is held. The Thinker reveals how gruesome the experiments really were and how the American government played a large role in the project.
Outraged and betrayed, Flag finds the drive with all the project's evidence and threatens to release it to the press but Peacemaker, believing that peace will be maintained if the information never gets out, draws his sidearm on Flag. However, the bombs from upstairs cause the laboratory to collapse and engulf them. A fight between Flag and Peacemaker ensues. As the debris settles, the creature is released by the destruction and kills The Thinker. Ratcatcher escapes and witnesses Peacemaker killing Flag in cold blood. Peacemaker sees her take the drive and chases her down. As he is about to shoot Ratcatcher, Bloodsport falls from the crumbling debris and shoots Peacemaker, incapacitating him.
The surviving team members reunite just as the creature breaks out of the laboratory. Terrified, the team runs out of the ruined building while the creature releases spores that attach themselves to the soldiers' faces, controlling them. The creature and the clone army head towards the city and wreak havoc. Finally in signal, Waller contacts the team, informing them the mission is successfully over as they have destroyed the lab.
However, the team watch as the creature destroys the city; they refuse Waller's orders and agree to stop the creature from killing more people. The remaining team; Harley, Bloodsport, Polka-Dot Man, King Shark and Ratcatcher all work together to take down the creature. Polka-Dot Man is killed while Harley has a close call. In a final and desperate attempt, Ratcatcher summons the city's rats to overpower the beast and it is finally taken down when Harley uses a javelin to stab the creature in the eye, killing it. Relieved, the team regroup and Bloodsport blackmails Waller with the drive, demanding she leaves them to be free. Meanwhile, Weasel, who’s revealed to be alive, runs across the beach freely.
In a post-credits scene, a wounded Peacemaker is visited by Waller's team who offer him more assignments to complete.
- Margot Robbie as Dr. Harleen Quinzel/Harley Quinn
- Idris Elba as Robert DuBois/Bloodsport
- John Cena as Christopher Smith/Peacemaker
- Joel Kinnaman as Colonel Rick Flag
- Jai Courtney as George "Digger" Harkness/Captain Boomerang
- Peter Capaldi as Gaius Grieves/Thinker
- Alice Braga as Sol Soria
- Pete Davidson as Richard Hertz/Blackguard
- David Dastmalchian as Abner Krill/Polka-Dot Man
- Michael Rooker as Brian Durlin/Savant
- Taika Waititi as Ratcatcher and the voice of Starro.
- Nathan Fillion as Cory Pitzner/T.D.K.
- Storm Reid as Tyla DuBois
- Daniela Melchior as Cleo Cazo/Ratcatcher 2
- Maya Le Clark as Young Cleo Cazo
- Steve Agee as Warden John Economos and Nanaue/King Shark (on-set)
- Sean Gunn as Weasel and Calendar Man
- Joaquín Cosío as Major General Mateo Suarez
- Juan Diego Botto as General Presidente Silvio Luna
- Julio Ruiz as Milton
- Flula Borg as Gunter Braun/Javelin
- Tinashe Kajese as Flo Crawley
- Mayling Ng as Mongal
- Jennifer Holland as Agent Emilia Harcourt
- Viola Davis as Director Amanda Waller
- John Ostrander as Dr. Fitzgibbon
- Jared Leland Gore as Double Down
- Stephen Blackehart as Briscoe
- Natalia Safran as Kaleidoscope
- Lloyd Kaufman
- World War II (mentioned)
- Mission in Corto Maltese
- Dogs (mentioned)
- Sharks (mentioned)
- Star Conquerors
- Werewolves (mentioned)
- Corto Maltese Armed Forces
- Galaxy Broadcasting System
- Maltese resistance
- Nazi Party (mentioned)
- Task Force X
Prior to the film's teasers coming out, James Gunn teased repeatedly on social media that most of the characters would die in The Suicide Squad. For a long time, many fans assumed that characters such as Harley Quinn and Rick Flag were safe thanks to their popularity. However, on October 24, 2020, Gunn informed several shocked and horrified fans that he insisted he be allowed to kill any character he wanted before he came to work for DC, which the company agreed to.
On July 26, 2021, Gunn revealed that The Suicide Squad was never his original intended title for the film, and that it started as a joke. For a time, the film was called Dogs of War, but when Gunn made a joke about just adding "The" to the title of the 2016 film when he pitched it to Warner Bros, they loved it and opted for the joke title.
On September 20, 2019, James Gunn revealed on Instagram that filming has officially already begun. On February 28, 2020, James Gunn announced on Instagram that the film has officially wrapped production.
On May 6, 2020, some news outlets began reporting that longtime James Gunn collaborator Tyler Bates had joined the project as composer, but this turned out to be incorrect. The next day, Slash Film reported that the film would actually be composed by John Murphy instead. On August 22, 2020, DC FanDome released a Roll Call trailer which confirmed the cast and characters in the film.
After periodic teases of the film's progress, James Gunn appeared at a panel for the film at the online CCXP Worlds event on December 6, 2020, and confirmed that the film is almost completely done, stating that "the final cut is locked, it's just some final tweaks that need finishing. Like, music and color-correction and stuff."
On December 31, 2020, after teasing and implying the film's rating for months, Gunn confirmed on Twitter that The Suicide Squad will indeed be rated R.
On July 9, 2021, James Gunn confirmed the release date would be moving up a day to August 5, 2021, which was, coincidentally, his birthday.
|Dirty Work||Steely Dan||
|Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye||Steam||
|Rain||Grandson ft. Jessie Reyez|
|Folsom Prison Blues (Live)||Johnny Cash|
|People Who Died||Jim Carroll|
|Sucker's Prayer||The Decemberists|
|Whistle for the Choir||The Fratellis|
|Just a Gigolo / I Ain't Got Nobody||Louis Prima|
- "'The Batman,' 'The Suicide Squad' Set 2021 Release Dates" - The Hollywood Reporter
- "James Gunn to Tackle 'Suicide Squad' Sequel for Warner Bros." - The Hollywood Reporter
- Exclusive: ‘The Suicide Squad’ Score to Be Composed By John Murphy
- James Gunn on Twitter
- James Gunn (@JamesGunn) - Twitter
- James Gunn Confirms The Suicide Squad Is Rated R - ScreenRant
- 'The Suicide Squad' Official Synopsis Teases a New Crew & Another Bonkers Mission
- Idris Elba Will Play New Character in The Suicide Squad, Not Deadshot – Variety
- The Suicide Squad - Roll Call
- ‘Suicide Squad 2’ Exclusive: Meet the New Characters James Gunn Will Introduce in Sequel
- John Cena Eyed for Role in 'Suicide Squad' Sequel
- REPORT: Joel Kinnaman Returning As Rick Flag For Suicide Squad 2)
- Jai Courtney says he will be back playing Captain Boomerang in the James Gunn 'Suicide Squad' movie
- ‘Doctor Who’s Peter Capaldi Joining James Gunn’s ‘The Suicide Squad’; Is ‘SNL’s Pete Davidson Next?
- ‘The Suicide Squad’ Cast Spotted in Costume for Big Group Scene – New Photos!
- James Gunn's 'The Suicide Squad' Casts 'Ant-Man' Actor David Dastmalchian (Exclusive)
- "This time it's war: How James Gunn took The Suicide Squad over the top" - Entertainment Weekly
- Nathan Fillion Boarding James Gunn’s ‘The Suicide Squad’
- Storm Reid Joins Idris Elba in James Gunn's 'The Suicide Squad'
- James Gunn’s ‘The Suicide Squad’ Casts Newcomer in Ratcatcher Role
- Comedian Steve Agee Joining James Gunn’s ‘Suicide Squad’ Gang
- Sylvester Stallone confirms he's in The Suicide Squad via Instagram
- The Suicide Squad First Look Photos Reveal Sean Gunn Playing CGI Character - Comic Book
- The Suicide Squad (@SuicideSquadWB) - Twitter
- ‘Pitch Perfect 2’s Flula Borg Joins James Gunn’s ‘The Suicide Squad’
- Viola Davis to Return as Amanda Waller in James Gunn’s ‘The Suicide Squad’ (Exclusive)
- Stephen Blackehart confirms his role in The Suicide Squad - Instagram
- The Hidden Movie Legend You Missed In The Suicide Squad Trailer - Looper
- "‘Suicide Squad 2’: Gavin O’Connor to Write and Direct Sequel" - Variety
- James Gunn (@JamesGunn) - Twitter
- Kevin Polowy on Twitter
- James Gunn confirms The Suicide Squad has begun filming
- Fandom (@getFANDOM) - Twitter
- James Gunn announces shooting has wrapped on The Suicide Squad
- Composer Tyler Bates joins James Gunn's The Suicide Squad - Cinema Express
- The Suicide Squad's Final Edit is Complete, James Gunn Confirms - ScreenRant
|Films in the DC Extended Universe|
|Released||Man of Steel • Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice • Suicide Squad • Wonder Woman • Justice League • Aquaman • Shazam! • Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) • Wonder Woman 1984 • Zack Snyder's Justice League|
|Upcoming||The Suicide Squad • Black Adam • The Flash • Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom • Shazam! Fury of the Gods|
|In development||Batgirl • Blue Beetle • Wonder Woman 3 • Zatanna • The Amazons|