This article is about upcoming content and is subject to change.
You can help the DC Extended Universe Wiki by adding new information when it becomes available.
The Batman is an upcoming superhero film, based on the DC Comics superhero of the same name. It will focus on the younger life of Batman. It is set to be the tenth installment in the DC Extended Universe and is scheduled for release on June 25, 2021. It will be the first film that Robert Pattinson will debut as Bruce Wayne/Batman after Ben Affleck quit the role in early 2019. Sources have described this film as a complete reboot to the character.
- Robert Pattinson as Bruce Wayne/Batman
- Zoë Kravitz as Selina Kyle/Catwoman
- Jeffrey Wright as James Gordon
- Paul Dano as Edward Nashton/Riddler
- Jayme Lawson
- To be confirmed actor as Alfred Pennyworth
- To be confirmed actor as Oswald Cobblepot/Penguin
- To be confirmed actor as Harvey Dent/Two-Face
To be added
To be added
To be added
In August 2013, Warner Bros. announced that Ben Affleck signed on to play Batman in multiple movies, which included Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Justice League. In mid-2014 rumors started that a standalone Batman film would be developed with a tentative release date of 2019. Warner Bros. CEO Kevin Tsujihara revealed that many other DC properties were being worked on that weren't part of the official announcements made in August 2014 such as solo films for Batman. Reportedly, Warner Bros. has Ben Affleck lined up to both star and direct a solo Batman movie for release in late 2018 or early 2019. In July 2015, Ben Affleck was reported to direct, write and star in the film, along with Geoff Johns who would also help write the script.
Affleck stated he felt "emboldened" watching Zack Snyder work on Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice encouraging him in making a superhero film of his own "I've wondered about directing movies like this before and it was a really valuable learning experience for me to watch Zack do it and see how he did it ... For me, as a director, it's about the material and the characters, so if I found the right material I would definitely throw my hat in the ring to direct something on that scale.".
In April 2016, Kevin Tsujihara confirmed that Ben Affleck will write, direct, and star in the film.
On August 29, 2016, Ben Affleck uploaded a teaser that revealed Deathstroke. Warner Bros later confirmed that the footage was not fake. On September 8th, 2016, Geoff Johns confirmed that Deathstroke will be the villain in the film and that Joe Manganiello will portray him.
In an interview with the associated press, Affleck confirmed that the tentative title of the film would be The Batman. 
Joe Manganiello revealed in an interview that filming will begin in Spring 2017. In January 2017, Ben Affleck stepped down as director. On February 23, 2017, it was confirmed that Matt Reeves will direct and produce the film.
In August 2018, Reeves updated that they "are working on getting our draft in the next couple of weeks and things are progressing," with hoping to begin production spring or early summer 2019.
On January 30, 2019, Warner Bros. announced that the film would be released on June 25, 2021.
On May 16, 2019, it was announced that Robert Pattinson and Nicholas Hoult are frontrunners to portray the younger Bruce Wayne/Batman, though nothing is confirmed yet. On May 31, 2019, however, Robert Pattinson was officially approved by Warner Bros. Studios to portray the younger Bruce Wayne/Batman., Some sources have claimed this film will have no connection to the events of Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice, and is said to be a complete reboot of the character.
In September 2019, it was revealed that Jeffrey Wright is being eyed for James Gordon and that Jonah Hill is in talks to play a villain in the film, which reports saying that it will either be the Riddler or the Penguin.
On October 2, 2019, it was revealed that Catwoman would be in the film as casting for her had already begun, with Zoë Kravitz, Lupita Nyong’o, Tessa Thompson, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Alexandra Shipp, Logan Browning, Zazie Beetz, Ana de Armas, Ella Balinska, and Eiza Gonzalez on the shortlist. On October 14, 2019, Zoe Kravitz was cast as Catwoman for the film.
On October 17, 2019, Jonah Hill has revealed that he is no longer in talks for Riddler or Penguin, instead Paul Dano was cast as the Riddler and also Mattson Tomlin will help co-write the script., The same month, music composer, Michael Giacchino will compose the film. 
On November 5, 2019. It was reportedly said that Matthew McConaughey is being eyed for the role of Harvey Dent/Two-Face. That same day, Andy Serkis and Colin Farrell are reportedly in talks to portray Alfred Pennyworth and Penguin.
Filming was scheduled to begin spring 2019 with Affleck attached as producer for the film. On January 4, 2019, The Hollywood Reporter reported that the studio wants to begin filming in November.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 "Matt Reeves to Direct and Produce “The Batman”" - Business Wire
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 "Matt Reeves’ ‘The Batman’ Gets June 2021 Release Date" - Variety
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Mattson Tomlin Is Co-Writing ‘The Batman’ Script With Matt Reeves
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 "‘The Batman’ To Fly In Summer 2021; Ben Affleck Passes The Torch To Next Generation Of Bruce Wayne" - Deadline Hollywood
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Robert Pattinson Is Officially ‘The Batman’
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Matt Reeves Eyeing POC Actress For Catwoman In Robert Pattinson’s ‘The Batman’ (Exclusive)
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 EXCLUSIVE: LUPITA NYONG’O, TESSA THOMPSON, GUGU MBATHA-RAW, ALEXANDRA SHIPP, LOGAN BROWNING ON SHORTLIST FOR CATWOMAN IN ‘THE BATMAN’
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 Zoe Kravitz to Star as Catwoman in 'The Batman'
- ↑ 'The Batman' Targets Jeffrey Wright as Commissioner Gordon (Exclusive)
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 'The Batman' Casts Paul Dano as The Riddler
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 The Batman Eyes Jonah Hill, Possibly for Penguin or Riddler
- ↑ Exclusive: ‘The Batman’ Adds Up-and-Coming Juilliard Grad Jayme Lawson
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Colin Farrell In Talks To Play Penguin, Rounding Out ‘The Batman’ Villain Trio
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 THE BATMAN: MATTHEW MCCONAUGHEY RUMORED AS TWO-FACE
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 Matthew McConaughey Being Eyed For Two-Face In The Batman
- ↑ "HOT RUMOR! What's In Store For Ben Affleck's Batman" - LRM Online
- ↑ "Batman And Superman Are Getting More Movies Than We Thought" - CINEMABLEND
- ↑ http://www.slashfilm.com/ben-affleck-directing-batman-solo/
- ↑ http://variety.com/2015/film/news/ben-affleck-solo-batman-movie-1201537304/
- ↑ "'Batman v Superman' yields unlikely female hero" - Yahoo News
- ↑ "CinemaCon: Warner Bros. Chief Says Ben Affleck's Stand-Alone Batman Movie Is a Go" - The Hollywood Reporter
- ↑ "Joe Manganiello Will Play Deathstroke in Ben Affleck’s Batman Movie" - The Wall Street Journal
- ↑ "Ben Affleck Confirms Batman Solo Film is Titled The Batman" - Screenrant
- ↑ "EXCLUSIVE: Joe Manganiello Doing 'Great' After Health Scare, Prepping for 'Batman' Movie" - Entertainment Tonight
- ↑ "Ben Affleck Will Not Direct ‘The Batman’ (EXCLUSIVE)" - Variety
- ↑ 
- ↑ "Robert Pattinson to Play ‘The Batman’ for Matt Reeves and Warner Bros. (EXCLUSIVE)" - Variety
- ↑ 
- ↑ 'The Batman' Enlists Composer Michael Giacchino
- ↑ 'The Batman' Will Reportedly Start Filming Next Year With Ben Affleck as a Producer (August 9, 2018).
- ↑ https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/01/04/the-batman-shooting-production-matt-reeves/
|Films in the DC Extended Universe|
|Films||Man of Steel • Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice • Suicide Squad • Wonder Woman • Justice League • Aquaman • Shazam!|
|Upcoming films||Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) • Wonder Woman 1984 • The Batman • The Suicide Squad • Aquaman 2|
|Announced films||Batgirl • Black Adam • Blackhawk • Blue Beetle • Cyborg • Gotham City Sirens • Green Lantern Corps • Justice League Dark • Justice League sequel • Lobo • Man of Steel 2 • Nightwing • Plastic Man film • Untitled Shazam! sequel • Supergirl film • The Flash • The New Gods • The Trench|