Smallville is a relatively small rural farming town located in the U.S state of Kansas.
Over a century later, a spacecraft crashed in Smallville. The ship was found by local farmer Jonathan Kent and his wife Martha. They discovered a baby in the ship and raised him as their own, naming him Clark Kent. Clark grew up in the town and his powers first manifested there. Eventually his parents revealed his alien origins after Clark used his powers to save his classmates on a flooding bus after it drove off a bridge.
Search for the Growth Codex
Decades later, in 2013, General Dru-Zod and his Kryptonian forces entered Smallville in search of the growth codex. They confronted Martha Kent at her home before her son Clark Kent arrived to stop them, now wearing a blue alien suit with a cape. No longer worried about hiding his powers, Clark fought Zod, and later Faora-Ul and Nam-Ek throughout the town's center, destroying portions of it as a result. With the aid of the US military, Clark defeated the Kryptonians who temporarily retreated back into space.
Clark Kent's funeral
After he sacrificed himself to kill the mutated Kryptonian creature Doomsday, a funeral was held for Clark Kent on the Kent farm in Smallville. At the funeral, Martha gave Lois an envelope with an engagement ring which was to be given to her during Clark's proposal. Heartbroken, she wears the engagement ring as she drops a pile of dirt on Clark's casket.
About two years later, Flash and Cyborg were sent to retrieve Clark's body from Smallville and bring him to the Kryptonian scout ship in Metropolis. After Clark is brought back to life, he and Lois return to the Kent farm, where Clark fully regains his memories and reunites with his mom. Lois then warns him about Steppenwolf, and regretfully sends him away.
- Dr. Whitaker's office
- Kent farm
- Lang Farm
- Smallville Cemetery
- Smallville Cinema
- The Smallville Hotel
- Main Street
- Trinity Lutheran Church
- Weisinger Primary School
- Zack Snyder revealed Sullivan's Truck & Tractor Repair was a reference from Smallville. "Yep, that is from the show, the shop,” Snyder explains. “It’s funny, because with those kind of things I wasn’t trying to homage it too hard, but it’s in the mythology, so you have to give it a little bit of love." 
- One of the shops featured on main street is named "Otto's Barber Styling" - a reference to Otto Binder, who wrote for DC Comics in the 1940s. Otto was responsible for the creations of The Legion of Super-Heroes, Supergirl, Brainiac, the Phantom Zone and Krypto the Super Dog, among others.
- In Man of Steel, the majority of the Smallville related scenes were filmed in Plano, Oswego and Yorkville IL, which are all about an hour from Chicago. 
- The video game Man of Steel establishes this version of Smallville as having been established in 1831. This detail is most likely taken from the Smallville tv series which establishes the same year as the founding date.
- Man of Steel (video game)
- Goyer, David S., Nolan, Christopher (writers) & Snyder, Zack (director) (June 14, 2013). Man of Steel.
- Goyer, David S., Terrio, Chris (writers) & Snyder, Zack (director) (March 25, 2016). Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.
- Terrio, Chris, Whedon, Joss (writers) & Snyder, Zack (director) (November 17, 2017). Justice League.
- 15 Man of Steel Easter Eggs You May Have Missed
- Man of Steel Easter Eggs, Trivia, and References
- Man of Steel films Superman adventure on location in Illinois and British Columbia