Smallville is a relatively small, rural farming town in the US state of Kansas.
Smallville was founded by Ezra Small, a pioneer American, settler in 1862 during the westward expansion of the United States.
Over a centrury later, a spacecraft crashed in Smallville. The ship was found by local farmer Jonathan Kent and his wife Martha. They discovered a baby in the ship and raised him as their own, naming him Clark Kent. Clark grew up in the town and his powers first manifested there. Eventually his parents revealed his alien origins after Clark used his powers to save his classmates on a flooding bus after it drove off a bridge.
Decades later, General Zod and his Kryptonian forces entered in Smallville in search of the Growth Codex. They confront Martha at her home before Superman arrived to stop them. There he fought Zod, and later Faora and Nam-Ek throughout the town's centre, destroying much of it as a result. With the aid of the US military, Superman defeats the Kryptonians who temporarily retreated back into space.
A funeral is held for Clark Kent on the Kent farm near Smallville. At the funeral, Martha gives Lois an envelope with an engagement ring which was to be given to her during Clark's proposal. Heartbroken, she wears the engagement ring as she drops a pile of dirt on Clark's casket.
Almost a year later, Flash and Cyborg were sent to retrieve Clark's body from Smallville and bring him to the Kryptonian ship in Metropolis. After Clark is brought back to life, he and Lois return to the Kent farm, where Clark fully regains his memories and reunites with his mom. Lois then warns him about Steppenwolf and regretfully sends him away.
- Zack Snyder revealed Sullivan's Truck & Tractor Repair was a reference from the Smallville (TV series). "Yep, that is from the show, the shop,” Snyder explains. “It’s funny, because with those kind of things I wasn’t trying to homage it too hard, but it’s in the mythology, so you have to give it a little bit of love." 
- One of the shops featured on main street is named Otto's Barber Styling - a reference to Otto Binder, who wrote for DC Comics in the 1940s. Otto was responsible for the creations of The Legion of Super-Heroes, Supergirl, Brainiac, The Phantom Zone and Krypto the Super Dog among others.
- Another one of the shops featured was Ezra's Mail Depot, which was named after town's fictional founder Ezra Small, who's unique history was introduced in the Smallville (TV series). 
- In Man of Steel, majority of the Smallville related scenes were filmed in Plano, Oswego and Yorkville IL, which are all about an hour from Chicago. 
- ↑ 15 Man of Steel Easter Eggs You May Have Missed
- ↑ Man of Steel Easter Eggs, Trivia, and References
- ↑ Man of Steel films Superman adventure on location in Illinois and British Columbia