This article contains major spoilers for The Suicide Squad. You have been warned.
This article is about upcoming content and is subject to change. You can help the DC Extended Universe Wiki by when it becomes available.
Brian Durlin, also known as Savant, is a self-styled vigilante, a computer hacker who uses most of his skills to blackmail people, and a member of the first of the two Task Force X strike teams for the deadly Corto Maltese mission. Upon reaching the island, Durlin watched as his companions were brutally murdered by the soldiers while he acted like a coward without helping and attempted to escape the island, but was killed by Amanda Waller, who blew up his head.
Genius computer hacker Brian Durlin, bored of having nothing to do with his vast fortune, became the vigilante Savant, using his skills to track criminals and stop them in brutal fashion. In the eyes of the law, however, he was worse than the criminals he brought in, and he was jailed in Belle Reve.
In 2021, Durlin became a member of Task Force X and went on a mission to Corto Maltese to destroy the Nazi-built prison and laboratory known as Jotunheim, and in the process annihilate the disastrous Project Starfish. He reluctantly joins, but proclaims that he'll do anything to get out of Belle Reve.
Upon landing on the beach of Corto Maltese, Savant takes the mission seriously and takes orders from Colonel Rick Flag to stay covered. He brings Weasel to shore after he drowns and tells Waller he is dead. After Blackguard betrays his team and they are compromised, Savant stays safe and watches the other members die brutal deaths. This takes a mental toll on him, and he starts to run from the battle. Amanda Waller threatens to detonate his bomb, but he doesn't turn back, and she fulfills her promise, killing him.
Like many of the members in this iteration of Task Force X, Brian Durlin looks to be angry and hardened. Unlike the rest of them, however, Durlin appears sane and professional , while the others have at least one likable quirk. This likely has to do with him being considerably older than many of the other members.
- Expert hacker: Durlin is a computer genius and uses his knowledge of computers to commit crimes via blackmail, disable alarms in theft, and assist Task Force X in their missions.
- Skilled marksman: Durlin can use a pistol.
- Combat suit: Durlin wears a protective suit that shields him and carries equipment.
- Pistol: Durlin uses a pistol to defend himself in fights.
Behind the scenes
- In DC Comics, Brian Durlin, better known as Savant, is the spoiled heir to an enormous fortune and a self-styled vigilante in Gotham City. However, after Batman discouraged his involvement in vigilantism because of his lack of care to protect others, he turned his formidable computer skills into a profitable blackmailing business. Savant was also a member of the Suicide Squad and an ally to the Birds of Prey.
- Larry Rippenkroeger was a stunt double for Michael Rooker in the role of Savant.
- During production, director James Gunn gave the hairdressers pictures of musician Edgar Winter to use as reference for Savant's long, white hair.
|Task Force X|
|Members||Harley Quinn | Deadshot | Katana | Killer Croc | Bloodsport | Peacemaker | Ratcatcher 2 | King Shark | Weasel | Vigilante|
|Supporting members||Flo Crawley | Emilia Harcourt | Briscoe | Fitzgibbon|
|Former members||Enchantress | June Moone | Slipknot | El Diablo | Rick Flag | Captain Boomerang | Polka-Dot Man | Detachable Kid | Javelin | Blackguard | Mongal | Savant|