- "20 years in Gotham, Alfred. We've seen what promises are worth. How many good guys are left. How many stayed that way."
- ―Bruce Wayne to Alfred Pennyworth[src]
Death in the family
However, sometime before 2015, Robin was eventually murdered by the Joker and Harley Quinn. The psychopathic duo left his damaged Robinsuit graffitied with the sentence "Hahaha joke's on you, Batman" for the devastated Dark Knight to find.
- "Batman wasn't always like that. Don't get me wrong... he was always tough. But over the years, he got harder. I mean, you figure he's seen some things."
A devastated Batman kept Robin's old damaged suit in a glass case in the Batcave to serve as a reminder and fuel for his vigilante activities. Robin's death was also one of the major reasons for Bruce becoming more enraged, hardened and vengeful, and therefore inducing him to take a more hardcore approach in stopping crime.
Right before leaving for Lex Luthor's fundraiser (where he planned to acquire data on Kryptonite), Bruce pauses to look at Robin's suit, reminding himself of why he continues to do what he does, and how taking down Superman will avoid more potential losses.
Joker got a tattoo on his right bicep depicting a dead robin pierced with an arrow.
- Robin suit: Robin wore a suit that was most likely armored to protect from the criminals he fought. This suit was later damaged and vandalized by the Joker and Harley Quinn in the hopes of demoralizing Batman.
Behind the scenes
- Zack Snyder revealed the deceased Robin in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice was actually intended to be Dick Grayson and not Jason Todd as in most incarnations. Grayson's death would have led to introducing a female Robin, Carrie Kelley.
- It was confirmed the Joker killed Robin in an interview with Zack Snyder. It was subsequently revealed in Suicide Squad that Harley Quinn was also involved in Robin's murder.
- ↑ Ayer, David (writer and director) (August 5, 2016). Suicide Squad.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Suicide Squad: The Official Movie Novelization
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Goyer, David S., Terrio, Chris (writers) & Snyder, Zack (director) (March 25, 2016). Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.
- ↑ Suicide Squad deleted scenes
- ↑ Burlingame, Russ (July 31, 2018). Zack Snyder Had Planned On Introducing Carrie Kelley's Robin In DC Movie Universe. Comic Book.
- ↑ Lussier, Germain (March 31 ,2016). Zack Snyder Explains When Robin Died in the DC Extended Universe. Gizmodo.