This article contains major spoilers for The Suicide Squad. You have been warned.
This article is about upcoming content and is subject to change. You can help the DC Extended Universe Wiki by when it becomes available.
- "I cherish peace with all my heart. I don't care how many men, women, and children I need to kill to get it."
- ―The Peacemaker to Ratcatcher 2[src]
Christopher Smith, also known as the Peacemaker, is a violent extremist who believes in achieving peace at any cost no matter how many people he has to kill for it in the process. He is also a member of the second Task Force X strike team sent on a mission to Corto Maltese.
Christopher Smith was born to Auggie Smith, a powerful and cunning small-town racist whose views deeply scarred his son. When he grew up, Christopher became a mentally unstable pacifist diplomat who grew so committed to peace, he eventually decided to enforce it by becoming a vigilante and killing those who stand in its way. He donned a bright costume, an oddly-shaped chrome helmet with a dove engraved on it, and the moniker of Peacemaker. As the Peacemaker, Smith killed many people in the name of peace before he was captured by ARGUS and detained in Belle Reve.
There, he was recruited by Amanda Waller to join Task Force X, doing black-ops missions for the US government in exchange for time off his sentence. He was sent on a mission with Adrian Chase, the Vigilante, and the two formed a deep-seeded rivalry and intense hatred for one another.
Corto Maltese mission
In 2021, the Peacemaker was recruited by Amanda Waller to join Task Force X on a mission he was eager to carry out: destroying a Nazi-built facility in Corto Maltese called Jotunheim, as well as annihilating all traces of the mysterious Project Starfish.
- "If this whole beach was completely covered in dicks, and somebody said I had to eat every dick until the beach was clean for liberty, I would say "no problemo"!"
- ―Peacemaker to Bloodsport[src]
Christopher Smith is a man who believes in peace at any cost, no matter how many people he has to kill along the way, and a jingoistic patriot. He is obsessed with gaining everlasting peace and liberty, although he is self-righteous, egotistical, arrogant, sarcastic, obnoxious, and overconfident. He is willing to do anything to get peace and end all fighting, no matter how many people he needs to kill, hurt, maim, or emotionally destroy along the way, making him very hypocritical. He is also willing to humiliate himself for his cause. Due to Peacemaker's ego and hypocrisy, the other members of the squad tend to greatly dislike him and not take him seriously, not that he cares, as he views himself as better than them. Smith is more than willing to fight, kill, and even start a war, but in the end, every action he takes is in the name of ultimately keeping the peace.
- Peak human condition: Peacemaker has achieved peak physical condition in his mission for global peace.
- Peak human strength: Peacemaker is visibly very strong for a human; he is huge and hulking with "muscles on his muscles".
- Expert marksman: Peacemaker is a world-class marksman. He has trained his whole life to bring peace to the world, and he knows how to use and properly aim his pistol.
- Indomitable will: Peacemaker deeply believes in his version of peace.
- "You're gonna risk the entire mission for a mental defective dressed as a court jester!?"
"This coming from a guy who wears a toilet seat on his head?"
"It's not a toilet seat, it's a beacon of freedom!"
- ―Peacemaker and Bloodsport[src]
- Peacemaker helmet: Peacemaker wears an oddly-shaped chrome helmet with a dove engraved on the forehead to protect his skull and identity.
- Peacemaker suit: Smith wears a red, blue, and white suit as Peacemaker, tight-fitting to display his strength, with holsters for his guns, and a picture of a dove his chest, showing his message of peace to all.
- Pistol: Peacemaker uses a long-barreled pistol, sometimes fitted with a suppressor or a scope, as his main weapon to incapacitate and kill those he believes threaten peace or who get in his way.
- Sword: To be added
- Axe: To be added
- Leota Adebayo
- Clemson Murn
- Sophie Song
- Larry Fitzgibbon
- Rip Jagger/Judomaster
- In DC Comics, Christopher Smith was a pacifist diplomat so committed to global peace that he takes on the superhero alter ego, Peacemaker, to ensure it by strictly using non-lethal weapons and combat techniques. Although, over time, he started to develop more into a violent vigilante that is willing to make sacrifices for peace.
- This is the first onscreen adaptation of the Peacemaker, though a version of Christopher Smith was mentioned but never seen in the Arrowverse.
Behind the scenes
- John Cena described Peacemaker as a "douchey Captain America". It is yet to be seen exactly what exactly this means in terms of Smith's persona in the film and series, but it is an eerily similar description to that most would give of his comic book counterpart.
- Dave Bautista was originally in talks for the role, but had to pass, because of his busy schedule. James Gunn later confirmed that he originally did write the role with Dave Bautista in mind.
- Spencer Thomas and Spencer Mulligan were stunts doubles for John Cena in the role of Peacemaker.
- John Cena had to eat 31 empanadas for one scene where all the members of Task Force X sit on a roof eating, and Cena wanted it to look cool for one seamless take.
- When DC rebooted their comics lineup in 2011 with The New 52! and later DC Rebirth initiatives, Peacemaker was dropped altogether. However, Christopher Smith returned, and thus was introduced into the new continuity, in the Suicide Squad comics in early 2021. This likely has to do with DC's confidence in Cena and Gunn's version of the character and the popularity he's likely to generate.
- The Suicide Squad FIRST LOOK reveals John Cena as 'Douchey Captain America' aka Peacemaker, Idris Elba & more
- ‘The Suicide Squad’ TV Spinoff ‘Peacemaker’ Starring John Cena From James Gunn Ordered By HBO Max
- John Cena Eyed for Role in 'Suicide Squad' Sequel
- Sneider, Jeff (March 7, 2019). ‘Suicide Squad 2’ Exclusive: Meet the New Characters James Gunn Will Introduce in Sequel. Collider.
- New Peacemaker Supporting Cast Members Revealed
- McFarlane Toys: Peacemaker
- Gunn, James (writer and director) (August 6, 2021). The Suicide Squad.
- ‘The Suicide Squad’ First Look, Full Cast Revealed by Director James Gunn at DC FanDome
- The Suicide Squad: James Gunn Talks the Creative Freedom of That R-Rating
- Motes, Jax (April 18, 2019). Dave Bautista Reportedly Passes On James Gunn’s ‘The Suicide Squad’ Due To Scheduling. Science Fiction.
- "Directors, have some balls!" The Suicide Squad's James Gunn on big blockbusters and soundtrack gold
|Task Force X|
|Members||Harley Quinn | Deadshot | Katana | Killer Croc | Bloodsport | Peacemaker | Ratcatcher 2 | King Shark | Weasel | Vigilante|
|Supporting members||Flo Crawley | Emilia Harcourt | Briscoe | Fitzgibbon|
|Former members||Enchantress | June Moone | Slipknot | El Diablo | Rick Flag | Captain Boomerang | Polka-Dot Man | Detachable Kid | Javelin | Blackguard | Mongal | Savant|