It is suggested that this article, or a section of this article, is in need of proper citations.
- "That Kryptonian's death plunged this timid world... into such terror. Amazons. Atlanteans, each stands and falls alone. I know Mother. You've waited too long for the Unity. I know. But you will feed. And my exile will come to an end. I will take my place among the New Gods."
The New Gods are a spacefaring race of nigh-immortal and extremely powerful humanoid beings that are native to the extra-dimensional planet of Apokolips.
Thousands of years ago, Uxas invaded planet Earth in Sector 2814 in an attempt to terraform the planet into an Apokolips-like planet, and he would've succeeded if not for the intervention of the humans, Old Gods, Amazons, Atlanteans, aided by the Sector's Green Lantern, Yalan Gur. After suffering a heavy blow from Zeus himself, Darkseid was forced to retreat, dragged away from the planet by his Parademons and the Apokoliptian Priests, losing three Mother Boxes in the process. After this defeat, Uxas renamed himself as Darkseid.
Steppenwolf arrived on Earth to reclaim the three Mother Boxes and terraform the Earth under Darkseid's orders. He faced resistance from the Amazons and Atlanteans, but easily overpowered them and reclaimed the Mother Boxes. However, before he could complete the Unity, he was confronted and defeated by the newly formed Justice League and a revived Superman.
The New Gods are an advanced warrior race with access to technology beyond human understanding. They possess advanced energy weapons such as the plasma carbine or Electro Axe of Steppenwolf. However, one of its most predominant objects are the Mother Boxes, high-tech objects that allow them to open portals, known as Boom Tubes, to other places in the universe and even other universes entirely. They can also be used to repair a damaged body; Victor Stone was transformed into a cyborg by a Mother Box, replacing his damaged and missing body parts with cybernetic ones, while a deceased Superman was brought back to life.
The New Gods are much more powerful beings than humans and many other species/races in the universe. However, they are matched or surpassed by Kryptonians powered by solar energy and the Old Gods. They possess superhuman physical abilities, although it varies from individual to individual; while Steppenwolf possesses enough physical might to dominate such powerful beings as Wonder Woman and Aquaman, the Apokoliptian Priests were not as powerful as Steppenwolf. Despite their large size, the New Gods have incredible superhuman speed and agility that allows them to easily overcome and overwhelm other smaller and agile beings. They can also react quickly to high-speed projectiles. The New Gods are invulnerable to many forms of damage; Steppenwolf was even able to withstand the tremendous blows of demigods like Wonder Woman or Aquaman but was unable to withstand the heat vision of a solar-empowered Superman. In addition, they are immortal beings and can live forever.
Only a handful of New Gods have been seen so far, but their physical characteristics are quite varied. They can range from the size of a normal human to almost 8 feet tall. While at least one of the New Gods seen looks exactly like a human, other New Gods can have much more demonic or bestial appearances, with the strongest contrast being Steppenwolf, who towers over beings and looks otherworldly, to Granny Goodness, who has an unremarkable appearance. The only consistency between New Gods is that they're all bipedal and sapient.
It has been shown that the New Gods are able to control their Parademon minions with absolute authority in a manner similar to mind control. However, since the Parademons feed on fear, they will turn against their masters if they expose a sufficient amount of fear.
Known New Gods
Behind the scenes
- In DC Comics, there are two planets of origin for the New Gods; Apokolips, ruled by Darkseid, and New Genesis, ruled by the being known as the Highfather. Both planets are in a parallel universe near the constellation of Orion and can only be accessed through the use of a boom tube. Apokolips and New Genesis are in constant warfare, signifying evil and good respectively.
- A feature film based on the New Gods, titled The New Gods, was previously in development at DC Films, with Ava DuVernay attached as director and Tom King writing. It is as of yet unclear if the film would have been set in the DC Extended Universe, or a different continuity, as it was eventually cancelled.
- According to The Suicide Squad director James Gunn, he was considering using the comic character Knockout for the film. In the comics, Knockout has been consistently portrayed as a former Female Fury from Apokolips who is also a New God.
- It is currently unclear if New Genesis and its New Gods exist in the DC Extended Universe, as all New Gods that have been depicted so far are the ones from Apokolips. The canceled New Gods film featured numerous New Genesis New Gods, but it is unclear whether it was set in the DC Extended Universe.
- Terrio, Chris, Whedon, Joss (writers) & Snyder, Zack (director) (November 17, 2017). Justice League.
- Goyer, David S., Terrio, Chris (writers) & Snyder, Zack (director) (March 25, 2016). Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.
- James Gunn's Tweet