- "Yes, the Metahuman Thesis! More likely than not, these exceptional beings live among us, the basis of our myths. Gods among men upon our, our little blue planet here!"
- ―Lex Luthor to Senators Finch and Barrows[src]
Metahumans are a class of individuals that possess extraordinary powers, traits, and abilities. These qualities are gained through accidents, foreign exposure, or unique genetic composition, making them considerably more powerful than regular humans. While some of them appear perfectly human, some appear very different.
- "It is our time. The sun is setting and magic is rising. The metahumans are but the first sign of the change."
- ―Enchantress to the Task Force X regarding metahumans[src]
Some of the earliest known metahumans were created during World War II. The Nazi Party established the Jotunheim facility in Corto Maltese, attempting to create metahumans for military purposes. However, after the Nazi's defeat, the plan was abandoned, and the Nazis abandoned their operations at the facility. The facility would later be controlled by a ruthless South American dictator named Silvio Luna.
Some ordinary humans ended up becoming temporary metahumans due to different effects. During World War I, the German general Erich Ludendorff used a special gas to potentiate him, giving him super strength and stamina. However, he was later killed by Wonder Woman. In 1984, the Amazon fought against Barbara Minerva after Barbara wished upon the Dreamstone and became a cheetah-like metahuman.
Research by LexCorp
Metahumans were under investigation by LexCorp Industries. The data that Lex Luthor collected on them as part of the LexCorp surveillance was stolen by Bruce Wayne. This revealed their existence to him and then to Wonder Woman, whom he later shared the data with.
After Superman's funeral, Batman and Wonder Woman discussed bringing together the metahumans seen in Luthor's files in the case of another global calamity. When Diana asked for the reason why Wayne wanted to assemble these people and why they would be willing to help, Bruce replied, saying that he "just had a feeling" (in reality, he was following the instructions given to him by the scarlet time-traveler that appeared in one of his "dreams").
Employment as Task Force X
Amanda Waller, the director of ARGUS, formed the Suicide Squad, a team of disposable incarcerated criminals with exceptional abilities, skills, and powers which could be forced to battle against formidable metahumans that threaten the human race. Though joining unwillingly, Task Force X (as the Squad was officially called), under the leadership of Rick Flag, successfully defeated the powerful Enchantress and her brother Incubus, both ancient and extremely powerful Homo Magi fixated on taking over the world. For their help in saving the world, the surviving Suicide Squad members had 10 years taken off their respective prison sentences.
Dinah Lance, a metahuman with a supersonic screech, was involved in the feud between Harley Quinn and Black Mask to protect young pickpocket Cassandra Cain. She later joined the a new team of vigilante women called the Birds of Prey, consisting of crossbow assassin Helena Bertinelli and former GCPD detective Renee Montoya.
In 2021, ARGUS recruited a series of super criminals as a new version of Task Force X for a mission in the Latin American nation of Corto Maltese. Among them included some metahumans like T.D.K. and Weasel in the first division and King Shark and Polka-Dot Man in the second one. During the Battle on the Corto Maltese Beach, T.D.K was left in critical conditions and Weasel survived despite being pronounced dead by Savant.
The second division successfully infiltrated on Jotunheim kidnapping the metahuman scientist known as the Thinker, who was eventually killed by Starro. During the Battle of Valle Del Mar, the metahuman known as Polka-Dot Man, who was able to weaponize polka dots due to an inter-dimensional virus was killed by Starro.
- The term "metahuman" was created by Lex Luthor.
- Wonder Woman, Cyborg, and Aquaman are often misidentified as metahumans due to their extraordinary abilities, but do not technically count as their powers come from other sources.
- Erich Ludendorff is the first metahuman to chronologically appear in the DCEU, especially during World War I.
- Black Canary Movie in the Works at HBO Max From Misha Green; Jurnee Smollett to Reprise Role
- Gunn, James (writer and director) (August 6, 2021). The Suicide Squad.
- Heinberg, Allan, Snyder, Zack, Fuchs, Jason (writers) & Jenkins, Patty (director) (June 22, 2017). Wonder Woman.
- Johns, Geoff, Callaham, Dave (writers) & Jenkins, Patty (writer and director) (December 25, 2020). Wonder Woman 1984.
- Goyer, David S., Terrio, Chris (writers) & Snyder, Zack (director) (March 25, 2016). Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.
- Ayer, David (writer and director) (August 5, 2016). Suicide Squad.
- Hodson, Christina (writer) & Yan, Cathy (director) (February 7, 2020). Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn).