Kryptonians, also known as Lorviians to the Ko'erst, are a near-extinct technologically advanced species, native to the planet Krypton. The species was rendered critically endangered after almost all Kryptonians died when their main civilization center on Krypton exploded due to the instability of the planet's radioactive core.
They are morphologically and anatomically nigh-identical to humans, except for the fact that they gain incredible abilities when exposed to the radiation of a yellow star; their cells can absorb and metabolize this particular energy and harness it to perform extraordinary feats.
- 1 History
- 2 Physiology
- 3 Language and culture
- 4 Known Kryptonians
- 5 Technology
- 6 Gallery
- 7 References
- 8 External links
In the early days of their civilization, the Kryptonians were a proud warrior race. One of their earliest traditions was dueling as a method of resolving disagreements. Eventually, the various Kryptonian tribes (known as Houses) united into a single nation.
Over the years, Kryptonians developed into an increasingly sophisticated society. Their architecture evolved alongside their technological advancements, allowing them to erect citadels throughout the planet; enormous structures capable of rooting themselves into the ground as they were built high into the skies. Kandor, the largest city on Krypton, featured multiple citadels, notably those used by the Council of Five for legislative proceedings.
Following the development of Phantom Drives, Kryptonian scientists paved the way for travel to distant planets in order to expand their influence throughout the cosmos, with some even leaving their scout ships (equipped with Genesis Chambers of their own) on these planets. In order to survive, these Kryptonian colonists would utilize World Engines to alter these planets' composition, making them compatible with the newcomers.
During their time of expansion, the Kryptonians and the New Gods of Apokolips became enemies as the former began intergalactic exploration and colonization, resulting in a strong mutual hatred between the two races.
Genetic cultivation and population control
Kryptonians were once born naturally, but this idea was soon discarded in the wake of advancements in genetic engineering, and they ultimately decided to control the population by growing fetuses underwater in orbs within Genesis Chambers (monitored by aquabots), which provided them with all they needed to survive until birth. They perfected this using a Growth Codex, which contained the genetic makeup of all Kryptonians. At that point, natural births were unheard of and population control was established.
A Kryptonian scientist named Bertron created a monstrous creature that came to be known as the "desecration without name," which was strictly banned from being created by the Kryptonian Law Council. This creature was never created again until Lex Luthor made one to kill the Kryptonian refugee Superman on Earth.
The Kryptonian Law Council decided to take energy from their planet's core to power their weapons and vehicles, heedless of the inevitable horrible consequences of such a choice, despite the warnings that Jor-El, the foremost scientist of the Kryptonian Thinker Guild, gave them. This rendered Krypton's core unstable, which would imminently induce it to implode, making Krypton's destruction an inevitability.
Jor-El of the House of El and his wife, Lara Lor-Van, gave birth to a child through natural means, being the first, and last, Kryptonians to do so in centuries. They named the child Kal-El. Meanwhile, Jor-El had begun to notice the increasingly unstable core (as he had once predicted), so he resolved to speak with the law council once more, giving them one final warning of Krypton's impending destruction, letting them know that it would be completely their fault, and requesting permission to use the Growth Codex. However, the council hearing was ultimately cut short, interrupted by General Dru-Zod and his radical Sword of Rao loyalists invading the council. Zod proceeded to promptly murder High Eminence Ro-Zar, and attempted to recruit his former friend Jor-El to his cause of severing the "degenerative bloodlines" that had led Krypton to ruin. Jor-El, however, was quick to decline Zod's offer and was taken into custody by Tor-An, but, with some help from Kelex, Jor-El managed to defeat Tor-An and the other guards, and run off to retrieve the Codex (with the help of his war kite H'Raka). He succeeded, and proceeded to bond the genetic information stored within the codex to the cells of his son Kal-El.
Jor-El and Lara then tearfully parts with Kal-El, whom they place within a small starship, equipped with a Phantom Drive. Shortly thereafter, however, General Zod and the Sword of Rao arrive at the House of El citadel in order to stop Jor-El and re-obtain the Codex. Zod, making it into the citadel's interior, engaged his former friend in a vicious duel, desperate to stop him. Jor-El managed to defeat him and knocked him to the ground. Zod then proceeded to beg Lara not to launch the ship, but she ignored his pleas, desperate to send her son off to a safe world.
Enraged at his failure, General Zod proceeded to murder Jor-El, much to Lara's horror. Zod quickly made his way outside and proceeded to order his forces to shoot down Kal-El's ship. The order was received by one of the Sword of Rao gunships, who targeted Kal-El's ship. However, at that very moment, the Sword of Rao was finally surrounded by the Sapphire Guards, who shot down the gunship and arrested them and took them before the Law Council. Due to their crimes of murder and high treason, the Sword of Rao were sentenced to 300 cycles of somatic reconditioning within the fearsome Phantom Zone (aboard the Black Zero prison ship).
Visually, Kryptonians are indistinguishable from humans. They evolved and adapted to survive in an atmosphere much harsher and gravity much stronger than Earth's. On their native planet, Kryptonians' natural abilities were the same as humans as Krypton revolved around the red star Rao. However, when on planets like Earth which orbits a yellow star, Kryptonians utilize solar energy on the cellular level to achieve vast superhuman powers that make them appear godlike to humans (indeed almost matching an Old God in power).
- Solar energy absorption: Kryptonians' cells can absorb yellow solar energy, and this in turn, fuels all of their powers and abilities. Their cells also store solar energy as well, allowing them to retain their powers under roofed structures or even at night, although they eventually need a yellow sun to recharge their powers. Kryptonians can also absorb solar energies from stars of other spectral classes. Direct exposure to sunlight can allow a Kryptonian to heal and recover at an accelerated rate on a cellular level from seemingly any of their weaknesses, giving them powerful healing and regenerative capabilities.
- Superhuman strength: Kryptonians possesses tremendous superhuman strength, allowing them to carry more than a million tons and create shockwaves with their strikes. They are vastly stronger than humans, metahumans, Amazons, and Atlanteans, and only matched or surpassed by Old Gods and New Gods.
- Superhuman speed: Kryptonians can run and fly at speeds faster than military aircraft. They can move, think and react fast enough to almost match speedsters such as the Flash, who can move faster than humans can even perceive. Superman generally uses his super speed while flying.
- Nigh-invulnerability: Kryptonians' bodies are nearly invulnerable, with missiles, explosions and bullets being unable to so much as break their skin. They can also survive unharmed in environments of intense temperatures, exposure to harmful chemicals or even the vacuum of space. However, beings who are more powerful can break though their extremely advanced durability. However, even upon death, their cells are incapable of decay, making their bodies unable to decompose.
- Superhuman stamina: Under a yellow sun, Kryptonians have vastly increased stamina, giving them the ability to perform superhuman feats for extended periods of time and rarely having to sleep.
- Regenerative healing factor: They are capable of recovering from non-fatal wounds at an accelerated rate. This is further enhanced when under direct sunlight, whereby they heal all non-fatal wounds instantaneously. Even if fatally injured, a Kryptonian's cells are incapable of decay after clinical death, causing their bodies to be naturally preserved.
- Superhuman vision: They also possesses a superior sensory arrangement of microscopic, telescopic, infrared and ultraviolet visual capabilities.
- Telescopic vision: Kryptonians have the ability to focus their vision to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics.
- Microscopic vision: The ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the sub-atomic level.
- X-ray vision: Kryptonians can see through almost anything, able to focus their vision past layers of matter, literally seeing "through" them. Because of this ability, Kryptonians possess a sight unparalleled by any other species, possibly perceiving x-rays, cosmic rays, or other forms of energy invisible on the spectrum of light which passes through Earth's atmosphere (and solid objects) after emission from stars. The only substance they cannot see through is lead.
- Heat vision: Kryptonians have the ability to generate and project extremely high radiation or fiery beams of intense heat energy from the eyes. Visually, the power is typically depicted as two beams of fiery energy being shot from their eyes. These beams can be made seemingly invisible, allowing Kryptonians to work undetected. This radiation-like form is not as intense as the concentrated energy beam form, as it can only superheat targets, while the beam form can destroy entire buildings with explosive force.
- Superhuman hearing: Due to their exposure to solar radiation, Kryptonians have developed incredible hearing, allowing them to hear extreme variances of sounds and frequencies, thus allowing them to pick up noises from across the globe. They have shown enough control to block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency. For example, Clark Kent was able to hear Alfred's voice through Bruce Wayne's earpiece when near him.
- Superhuman breath: Kryptonians' capable of surviving without air far longer than humans, allowing them to hold their breath for lengthy periods of time without adverse effects. Some Kryptonians' can use their breath to generate force winds with enough intensity to freeze objects solid and brittle.
- Flight: Kryptonians have displayed the ability to control their own immediate gravitational field to such a degree that allows them to fly at supersonic speeds in any direction.
It appears that Kryptonians could also cut their hair as easily as humans while under a yellow sun. If a Kryptonian stays on a planet with a yellow sun and a nitrogen-rich atmosphere from birth, such as Superman did for the entirety of his life, their bodies will reject atmospheres similar to Krypton's, such as when Superman passed out on Zod's ship, Black Zero.
Language and culture
Kryptonians have many similarities to humans. However, their alphabet, writing system, and language are largely different from any Terran form of communication, just like their culture. Their language is named after their race, Kryptonian, though in their native tongue it is referred to as kriptan ma lumra, which literally translates to "Krypton's communicating".
Kryptonian nobles usually dress in clothing that has their family emblem on the chest. In battle, they wear skin tight suits with their emblems on the chest under armor that also often has their emblem on the chest. Those outside of nobility wear the crest of their guild instead. Kryptonian women sometimes also wear earrings, like humans do.
Kryptonian children are genetically engineered to make Kryptonians a more efficient race. Some are engineered stronger to be better soldiers, others more intelligent to be better scientists. When the Kryptonian couple Jor-El and Lara Lor-Van conceived a child naturally, even the relatively open-minded Dru-Zod considered it blasphemy.
Krypton's inhabitants each belong to a specific guild for which their genetics were engineered. The main guilds are:
- Artisan Guild - engineering, craftsmanship, architecture
- Laborer Guild - labor
- Mediator Guild - religion, law
- Thinker Guild - science
- Warrior Guild - military
- Attack Ship: An attack and transport aerial vehicle.
- Black Zero
- Energy Lance: A sword-like weapon, utilized by the Sapphire Guards.
- Growth Codex
- Gunship: A large heavily weaponized gunship aerial combat vehicle.
- Hammerheads: A large aerial combat vehicle.
- House of El Command Key
- Kal-El's Starcraft
- Kryptonian Battle Armor
- Liquid Geo
- Phantom Drive
- Phantom Zone
- Phantom Zone Projector
- Plasma Carbine
- Scout Ships
- Service robots
- Somatic Reconditioning
- Star of Rao
- Superman's skinsuit
- World Engines
- Man of Steel
- General Mills Presents Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - Playground Heroes
- Planet Krypton Featurette
- Justice League
- In the movie Man of Steel, Kryptonians are seen to speak English, but according to Dr. Schreyer, the creator of the Man of Steel dialect of Krypton's language, that is only for simplicity's sake.