James "Jimmy" Olsen, codenamed Talon, was a CIA operative investigating Nairomian warlord General Amajagh. He posed as a photographer from the Daily Planet in order to infiltrate his compound in Nairomi, Africa, but was killed in the process.
Jimmy traveled alongside Lois Lane to Nairomi, Africa, posing as a photographer aiding her reporting. While Lois was interviewing a leader, Anatoli Knyazev pulled apart his camera, finding a tracker. Realizing that the CIA had infiltrated their compound, they threatened to kill Jimmy and Lois. Jimmy, however, explained that Lois had no part in the ruse, and they had simply used her credentials as a cover. He was promptly executed by the Nairomian warlord Amajagh.
- In the extended version of the Nairomi Incident on the Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition cut, it is shown that the CIA was monitoring the interview with Amajagh. Upon Jimmy's death, the team leader of Python reports that "Talon", Olsen's codename, was killed. In DC Comics, "Talon" is the alias of William Cobb, a popular Batman villain who works as an assassin for the Court of Owls.
- In DC Comics, Jimmy Olsen has most often been depicted as a young photojournalist working for the Daily Planet. He is often close friends with Lois Lane and Clark Kent.
Behind the scenes
- A Daily Planet newspaper prop for the film Shazam! revealed that a Staff Photographer for the Daily Planet by the name of 'Jimmy Olsen' took a photo of Superman's first sighting upon his awakening by the Mother Box. This character could thus be the individual whose credentials James Olsen stole to infiltrate Lois Lane's interview in Nairomi.
- Before Michael Cassidy was cast as Jimmy Olsen, Scoot McNairy and Jesse Eisenberg were in early talks for the role of Jimmy Olsen.
- Jimmy Olsen in the DC Extended Universe is the eighth live-action incarnation of the character, following incarnations portrayed by Tommy Bond, Jack Larson, Marc McClure, Michael Landes, Justin Whalin, Sam Huntington, Aaron Ashmore, and Mehcad Brooks.