- "Here’s the thing, Romy baby. Your protection is based on the fact that people are scared of you. Just like they’re scared of Mr. J. But I’m the one they should be scared of. Not you, and not Mr. J. 'Cause I'm Harley fucking Quinn!"
- ―Harley Quinn to Black Mask[src]
Dr. Harleen Frances Quinzel is a former psychiatrist employed at Arkham Asylum, a former criminal, a mercenary, and the ex-girlfriend of the Joker, operating under the alias Harley Quinn. After assisting in the Joker's escape from Arkham, Harleen was submerged in a silo of chemicals at Ace Chemicals, re-emerging as the Joker's right-hand woman. Over the years, Harley has become a nemesis of Batman, growing to become known as the queen of Gotham City alongside the Joker, notably committing numerous crimes, and while her allegiance with the Joker meant she was never in any real danger, her long history of violence would later catch up with her.
Quinn was later imprisoned in Belle Reve after her arrest by Batman and recruited into Task Force X, a covert operations team led by Amanda Waller, where she was forced to work with other dangerous criminals to complete missions for the government in exchange for time off her sentence. On her first assignment, she and the team brought down Enchantress in Midway City, earning her ten years off of her multiple life sentences, but was later rescued by the Joker during a prison break.
The Joker eventually broke up with her, though she tried to claim that the decision was mutual. Following the breakup, she kept quite for a while before announcing it a very public way by ramming a truck into Ace Chemicals, setting off a massive explosion, she also became a mercenary. She had declared her emancipation, but by doing so had essentially set off open season on the many who held a grudge against her. She at first sought the protection of the Black Mask after he tried to kill her, but eventually found her independence by saving the life of Cassandra Cain and teaming up with the group who would become the Birds of Prey and founding her own group, Harley Quinn and Associates.
Childhood and college
- "This is me, Harleen Quinzel. When I was a kid, my dad traded me for a six-pack of beer. But however many times he tried to ditch me, I kept coming back. Eventually, he found me a new home. The good sisters of St. Bernadette’s taught me a lot. But I was never an establishment kind of gal. All things considered, I did good. I even went to college. I got my Ph.D. Had my heart broken once or twice. Finding love, it’s not easy. So I threw myself into my work, became a psychiatrist. That’s when I met him. Mr. J. My Joker."
- ―Harley Quinn[src]
Harleen Frances Quinzel was born on July 20, 1990. Harley's family life was largely dysfunctional as her father constantly tried to abandon her though she always found her way back home. At some point in her childhood, he sent her to an orphanage run by nuns.
After graduating high school, Harley pursued a college degree and went on to earn a PhD in psychology, and experienced several heartbreaks.
Becoming Harley Quinn
Falling for the Joker
- "She was assigned to the clown himself. She thought she was curing him, but she was falling in love. Talk about a workplace romance gone wrong."
- ―Amanda Waller[src]
Following her graduation, Quinzel's theoretical thesis made a huge success that it led to her transfer into the job as a psychiatrist at Arkham Asylum. She was reunited with the Joker after he was imprisoned there by the Batman, at which point she took a particular interest in him, regularly visiting and speaking with him. As their sessions went on, Quinzel was gradually manipulated by the psychopath, eventually falling in love with him, and the Joker got her to smuggle a machine gun into the sanitarium, leading to his escape. Before leaving however, the Joker subjected Quinzel to shock therapy, greatly affecting her mental state even further.
- "Would you die for me?"
"No. That was too easy. Would you... Would you live for me?"
"Careful! Do not say this oath thoughtlessly. Desire becomes surrender, surrender becomes power."
- ―Joker and Harleen[src]
Quinzel later chased the Joker down and managed to get him to stop his car. She nearly killed him with a gun, even shooting a man who approached them. The Joker took the gun and taunted her. Quinzel wanted to come with him, so he took her to Ace Chemicals. While there, she was told to pledge an oath and was asked if she would die for him. She responded in the affirmative, and allowed herself to fall into the vat of chemicals that created the Joker years ago. The Joker considered leaving her to die, but promptly changed his mind and jumped in after her, pulling her up to the vat's surface. He then kissed her, and Quinzel awakened with the same frontotemporal dementia that her lover received via exposure to the chemicals and oxygen deprivation. She gazed at the Joker as he burst into maniacal laughter.
From that point on, the Joker dubbed her "Harley Quinn" (giving her a red-and-black Harlequin costume), and the duo of psychopathic lovers would go on a number of crime sprees in Gotham City together, which would often result in them coming into conflict with Batman, becoming (as Amanda Waller would later claim) the 'King and Queen' of Gotham City's criminal underworld.
After this, Harley Quinn committed numerous crimes, and while her allegiance with the Joker meant she was never in any real danger, her long history of violence would later catch up with her. Her crimes included theft, injury, and manslaughter.
Murder of Robin
The Joker, with Harley's help, managed to kill Batman's partner, Robin. To add insult to injury to Batman's loss, in hopes of crippling and driving their mutual adversary insane, the Joker vandalized the Robin suit, spray-painting "HAHAHA JOKE'S ON YOU BATMAN" in yellow. A devastated Batman would later place the damaged suit in an exhibit in the Batcave.
Captured by Batman
On October 13, 2014, Monster T, a fellow crime boss, visited a strip club owned by the Joker, greeted by the Joker himself. After exchanging stiff pleasantries, the Joker demanded Quinn to come over after noticing Monster T's lustful attraction towards her pole-dancing, calling her a "bad bitch" and greatly angering the Joker. The Joker watched on as Quinn teased Monster T, tempting him to have her to himself. Monster T, having become aware of the Joker's sarcasm, attempted to assure him that Harley is his girl, and that he wanted "no beef." The Joker, however, promptly shot Monster T in the head.
Afterward, the psychopathic duo drived down a Gotham City street in their Jokermobile, laughing maniacally. However, Batman pursued them in the Batmobile, and after putting his car on auto-pilot, leapt onto the Jokermobile's roof. Quinn, annoyed that Batman was ruining "date night," began to shoot the roof of the vehicle, though due to Batman's bulletproof suit, this proved ineffective. The Joker, attempting to shake Batman off, made a sharp turn that sent his car flying off the road and into the river, forcing Batman to grapple away. Batman then promptly put on a breather and dove into the river, finding the wrecked car and Quinn, but no Joker. Batman then reached towards her, who awakened and tried to stab him, but is knocked out and carried out of the river.
Laying her on the hood of the Batmobile, Batman checks for a pulse, but does not find one. With extreme reluctance, Batman proceeds to perform mouth-to-mouth resuscitation to try and revive her. A pleased Harley recovered and began to kiss him. Her advances were rejected and she was taken by him into captivity.
Saving the world
Incarceration in Bell Reve
ARGUS Director Amanda Waller had Quinn transferred to Belle Reve supermax. After putting several guards into the hospital, Quinn was eventually given her own special cell to keep her locked up and to keep the guards safe. The psychotic woman was put inside a small electrified cage inside of a barbed fence to keep her in contained. Quinn was given barely any comforts or clothing; she used the sheets supplied for her gymnastic routines.
Meeting Amanda Waller
Months after Quinn was apprehended, Amanda Waller gathered other skilled individuals and metahumans for Project Suicide Squad. Upon her visit to Belle Reve to examine the future team, she visited Quinn outside her cage while the latter was meditating. Quinn was hypnotized by the government agents' presence and asked Waller if she was the Devil, to which Waller proclaimed that she was maybe so.
Deployment in Midway City
- "Hi, boys! Harley Quinn. Nice to meet ya."
- ―Harley Quinn[src]
With the attack in Midway City, Michigan, orchestrated by the mystical duo Enchantress and Incubus, Harley, along with the other members of Suicide Squad (such as Deadshot, Captain Boomerang, El Diablo, and Killer Croc), are implanted with explosive nanotechnology provided by Dr. Van Criss. While being wheeled out to their transport, Griggs hands Harley a phone, telling her it was from Mr. J to get in contact with her. Harley then tells Griggs that he's "so screwed" and laughs maniacally as she's wheeled off into a chopper.
Harley and the rest of the members arrive at an evacuation point outside the city, where they are joined by Slipknot. They are given instructions by Waller via an electronic tablet that they are under the direct command of her second-in-command Rick Flag and extracting a highly valued asset known as "VHT1" from the besieged city and will receive 10 years off of their life sentences as a reward. Flag warns them if they annoy him or try to escape, he will kill them by using his touchpad to detonate their implanted nanobots — blowing their heads off. Harley and the others receive their old costumes and weapons before departing by helicopter carrying the military Squad A to the extraction point. Before take-off, they are joined by Flag's personal bodyguard Katana, whom Harley takes a liking toward, despite the latter's hostility.
While mid-flight en route to their destination, Harley looks at a new text from the Joker saying that he's coming to get her. Deadshot peers over to see, so she signals him to be quiet about it and he decides to comply. After their helicopter is shot down, the squad is forced to travel the rest of the way on foot, splitting up with Squad B, who are able to land their helicopter safely. After witnessing, Slipknot's explosive get activated, Harley and Deadshot bond and plot with the others against Flag to turn the odds in their favor the first chance they get.
Soon after, the group encounters creatures in the Enchantress' employment known as the Eyes of the Adversary. When Flag approaches them, the creatures become hostile and attack. The squad is initially overwhelmed as the Eyes capture Flag, much to Harley's delight. Deadshot, however, reminds her what Waller had said about the Squad members being as good as dead if the colonel is injured or killed, so she changes her mind and aids Flag with getting the monsters off of him. She continued to beat up the already-dead Eyes, claiming to have seen it flinching, but Deadshot stops her and they all move on to the task at hand. Flag contacts Waller when all contact with Squad B fails, and learns the other squadron was engaged with another group of Eyes at the same time, but have all been taken prisoner and brought to the Enchantress herself.
- "Seriously? The hell is wrong with you people?"
"We're bad guys. It's what we do."
- ―Rick Flag and Harley Quinn[src]
As the other squad members plan to infiltrate the John F. Ostrander Federal Building, Harley is distracted by a discarded motorcycle and experiences a flashback to the night she pursued Joker, before Deadshot snaps her out of it. Harley then begins to psychologically analyze the squad members due to her boredom. When Deadshot confronts her, Harley implies that she's aware of his deal with Rick Flag and voices her displeasure.
As the Squad enters the John F. Ostrander Federal Building, Harley quickly makes her way to the elevator, much to the annoyance of the other squad members. Harley receives another message from the Joker, telling her to be ready. Harley is then attacked by two of Enchantress' minions, whom Harley disposes of with her revolver and baseball bat.
As the squad proceeds further, they are alerted to movement in their area. Harley then proceeds to tease Deadshot for the use of his mask. Harley and the squad are then attacked by another wave of Eyes of the Adversary. As the battle goes on, the team notices Flag being taken once again. The squad huddles around Flag to protect him until the minions are seemingly cleared. As the squad makes their way to the stairway, they are attacked by another wave. After El Diablo swiftly clears the opposition, Harley hugs him and gives him a kiss on the cheek, telling him she knew he'd come through for them.
The Squad makes their way up the building, resulting in Harley becoming winded. As she stops to catch her breath, the familiarity of the environment causes her to flashback to the night at Ace Chemicals when the Joker had her bleach her skin for him. As Harley snaps out of her flashback, she quickly points her gun at Deadshot. Still recovering from her flashback, she asks Deadshot if he had ever been in love. After Deadshot tells her that something like love would keep him from performing his job, Harley only smiles and calls him "another textbook sociopath."
Once Harley and the squad made it to their destination, Flag ordered them to stay behind so they don't scare their target. HVT1 is then revealed to the squad as Amanda Waller, greatly angering most of the squad. Harley declares that she's not going back to prison; however, Waller gets her and the rest of the squad to back down by threatening to activate the explosives in their necks.
Reuniting with Joker
- "Puddin! You got all dressed up for me?"
"Oh, you know I'd do anything for you."
- ―Harley and Joker[src]
The Squad makes their way to the top of the John F. Ostrander Federal Building and wait for extraction. However, Rick Flag quickly deduces that the arriving helicopter is compromised. The Joker and Jonny Frost open fire on the rooftop, causing the squad to take cover. However, Harley's explosive is disarmed by Van Criss under Joker's orders. Harley removes her jacket and leaps off the rooftop, grabbing onto the rope that Joker has dropped down for her. As the helicopter rises, Harley playfully blows a kiss to the rest of the Squad, as well as playing dead when Deadshot misses a shot at her.
Harley climbs into the helicopter and embraces Joker. However, their reunion is short lived as their helicopter is hit with a missile. As she and Joker both attempt to make their escape, a sudden explosion throws Harley out of the helicopter. Harley lands on the rooftop below and watches the helicopter, with Joker still in it, crash into a nearby building.
Harley makes her way down to street level. Heartbroken by the apparent death of the Joker, Harley removes and throws away her collar. Upon seeing the rest of Task Force X leave the John F. Ostrander Federal Building, she quickly brushes off her tears and resumes her usual behavior, telling the rest of the squad that she missed them. Captain Boomerang then returns the bat she had left behind and the squad moves on to once again retrieve Waller.
The Squad approaches the downed helicopter to find Waller has been taken. Now filled with despair on the realization that they must confront Enchantress and Incubus, the Squad, say for Deadshot, follow after. However, Deadshot soon stops Flag by throwing a Top Secret Binder at him before angrily demanding answers. After Flag explains their true situation, Harley follows after Deadshot into a nearby bar, giving a mocking bow to Flag in the process.
In the bar, Harley convinces Killer Croc to have a drink with the rest of the Squad. Harley then proceeds to pour drinks for the rest of the Squad. She joins the rest of the Squad in cheers after she makes her own drink, complete with an overabundance of drink umbrellas. Deadshot states his regret over their situation, causing El Diablo to lash out at him and eventually break down, revealing his tragic past. Angry at Diablo's guilt, Harley yells at him to own up to his mistakes and to accept that a normal life isn't possible for them, causing Boomerang to call her out on her vexing behavior. Harley then goes on to state that they're all ugly on the inside, just like her, except for Croc, who's also ugly on the outside. When Croc claims he is beautiful, Harley nods in agreement to him owning his physical attributes.
When Flag enters the bar, Harley coldly tells him they don't want him there. Flag then explains his relationship with June Moone before destroying his device controlling the nanites in the Squad's necks. Flag then shows Deadshot the letters his daughter had been sending him, prompting Deadshot to tell Flag that he's going to help him stop the Enchantress. Harley then cheerfully tells them that she'll come along, telling the others that they don't have anything else better to do. She then quickly teases the rest of the squad before leaving, goading them to jump into action.
Visions and facing Incubus
The Squad made their way to the subway station and began to prepare for the coming battle. Flag explained their plan: to lure Incubus over a charge and destroy him. Harley, along with Flag, Deadshot, and Captain Boomerang had one last conversation before they headed into the subway.
Harley and the Squad had made their way into the subway. Harley quickly asked the others if they could see the effects of the Enchantress' machine, unsure whether or not her lack of medicine was causing her to hallucinate. However, she and the Squad were quickly detected by the Enchantress and told to come out of the hiding, which Harley quickly obeyed, much to the dismay of Deadshot and Flag, who pulled her back into hiding. The Enchantress then went on to explain that they aren't enemies, feeding them visions of "exactly" what they wanted. Harley was greeted with a vision of a "normal" life with the Joker, with a family and children.
However, El Diablo quickly broke them out of their visions, despite Harley being more hesitant to leave her vision. The Enchantress then summons Incubus to deal with the Squad. Harley and the others quickly duck for cover to avoid his lethal attacks. However, once El Diablo is knocked aside, Harley, along with Boomerang and Deadshot, reenter the fight but are ultimately ineffective against Incubus. However, El Diablo re-emerges and manages to fight Incubus off. However, as El Diablo begins to lose his strength and shouts for the charge to be set off anyway, Harley can only let out a small "No" before the charge is set off by Edwards, killing both El Diablo and Incubus.
Battle against Enchantress
As the Squad approaches Enchantress, she unleashes the full power of her weapon, disorientating the Harley and the other Squad members. Enchantress then reverts to her feral form and attacks the Squad, during which, Harley is smacked aside. Enchantress disappears, much to the Squad's displeasure, to only reappear shortly after, wielding dual blades. The Squad continues to fight Enchantress, to where the witch nearly has Harley cornered, only for Harley to avoid the attack at the last moment. Harley eventually lands a hit on Enchantress' head, which seemed to only make the witch more irritated. Harley quickly apologizes and is seemingly knocked out of the fight by a hard blow from Enchantress.
Enchantress retreats from the fight once again, this time disarming Harley and the rest of the Squad. Enchantress once again offers them a chance to join her, this time due to impressing her in battle. Harley then tells the others that perhaps they should join. When Deadshot tries to remind her that Enchantress is trying to take over the world, Harley rebuts him by telling him that they don't owe the world anything.
As Harley approaches Enchantress, she asks if she can bring back the Joker. When Enchantress tells her she can, Harley tells her that the only problem is that Enchantress messed with her friends. Harley then grabs the Soultaker and cuts Enchantress' chest open, allowing her to rip out the witch's heart. The rest of the Squad quickly moves to disable Enchantress' weapon. Harley quickly tosses Deadshot her handgun, allowing him to shoot the charges and destroy the weapon.
Escaping Belle Reve
Shortly after their victory, Harley watches as Rick Flag begs Enchantress to bring June Moone back before eventually crushing her heart, killing her. Fortunately, Moone survived this and reunites with Flag, something Harley is happy to see. As the rest of the Squad readies to re-enter the world, Harley herself is ready to hot wire a car, Amanda Waller appeared and reactivated their explosives. Harley is at first appalled since Waller didn't thank them for saving the world. However, once Waller does thank them, Harley cheerfully tells her she's welcome. When Waller then allows them to make specialized requests, Harley asks for an espresso machine.
Back in Belle Reve, while Harley is enjoying her espresso machine, the wall outside her wall explodes, allowing The Joker's gang to break in and storm the prison. Harley's cell is forced open with a buzzsaw, allowing Joker to enter and reveal himself to Harley he is still alive. Harley embraces her once lost love and Joker tells her that they're going home.
Breaking up with Joker
Sometime after returning home, Joker broke up with Harley Quinn, with one of his henchmen throwing her out into the streets.
In the aftermath of the breakup, Quinn found herself somewhat adrift, as while she was seemingly free, she had not publicly announced her breakup. She adopts a hyena, which names Bruce after Bruce Wayne. Those few that she did tell simply didn't believe her and she found herself largely alone and friendless. One night, Harley went to a nightclub owned by gangster Roman Sionis, the Black Mask. After the latter's driver insulted her, she promptly crippled him. She then met burlesque singer Dinah Lance. Thinking quickly, she decided to announce her breakup in a big way, stealing a truck and sending it hurtling into Ace Chemicals, resulting in a massive explosion. She soon discovered, however, that declaring her independence came with consequences, as it resulted in pretty much everyone she had ever wronged deciding that it was open season on her. Those with grudges were numerous and she soon started finding enemies around every corner, unable to even enjoy her favorite breakfast sandwich without being attacked. She tried to refashion herself as a mercenary and finder of lost things, but her past finally caught up with her.
She was eventually surrounded and captured by the Black Mask. She was not entirely certain why she had done to anger the misogynistic sociopath, but listed his possible grievances against her as "have a vagina," "pronounced it 'expresso'," "voted for Bernie" and "calling him Romey." He planned to exact this punishment on her, but upon overhearing that he had lost a valuable diamond, she offered to find it for him, describing herself as an expert finder and telling him that he had nothing to lose. The offer appealed to him and he decided to let her go, but not before putting out a general reward of $500,000 to anyone who could bring him Cassandra Cain, the young pickpocket who had taken the diamond.
Travels with Cassandra Cain
- "Number one, no one is like me. If you wanted to even come close, you would have to go to medical school. Become a psychiatrist, work in an asylum. Fall in love with your patient, break said patient out of said asylum. Begin a life of crime. Jump into a vat of chemicals to prove yourself to a madman. Get arrested by the Batman. Go back to jail, get out of jail with a bomb in your neck. Save the world, go back to jail, and break out of jail before breaking up with the aforementioned madman and going out on your own."
- ―Harley Quinn to Cassandra Cain[src]
Harley tracked Cain to the Gotham City Police Department, where she enacted a daring plan using paintballs, pyrotechnics and martial arts to storm her way past the cops and steal a keycard to make her way to Cain's cell. She breaks her out, but her actions also result in the release of the other prisoners in the cell-block, resulting in a three-way fight between her, the escaped prisoners and the other mercenaries sent to try to capture Cassandra Cain. In an epic battle that tested her skills of martial arts, she took down all challengers and finally managed to escape with Cain, though not before stopping Cain herself from fleeing.
She traveled with Cain to a local grocery store where she loaded a cart with a large supply of laxatives and food items intended to try to get the diamond out of Cain. At the store, Cain expresses an admiration for the way she lives her life and asks how she could be like her. In response, she gives Cain a brief summary of her life history, saying that the only way to be like her is to have done all that. Cain was astonished that her rich life, that she could shop at such a fancy store, but she explained that they weren't shopping, they were stealing. At this point, she and Cain raced with the cart, running down an aisle and straight through a checkout lane, pushing away a worker before bursting out the door and away.
Harley took Cassandra Cain to Doc's Place, where she intended to lay low. As they had a meal at the restaurant, she told Cassandra to always order the Mongolian beef with extra hot sauce in order to mask the taste. She then took her to her flat on the second floor, where she intended to lay low until she could turn Cain over to the Black Mask. She bonded with Cain over cartoons and ice cream. She also introduced Cain to Bruce, her pet hyena. Cain was at first shocked at Bruce being a hyena, but quickly grew used to the idea. However, the cozy little affair was quickly broken up when Harley's flat was attacked by the Huntress, who was hoping that Harley could provide her with info on the location of Victor Zsasz, the last of her family's killers that she had yet to track down and kill in return. Harley and Cain managed to escape, but lost track of Bruce in the process, believing him to have been killed. Afterwards, Harley found Doc packing a vehicle outside and got out of him that she had sold her out in exchange for a large amount of money. She expressed shock over this, thinking that he was the one person that she could truly trust, but he told her that it was just business and that he planned to use the money to restart his business in a better and more profitable location.
The Booby Trap
Realizing just what she was up against, Harley contacted Black Mask to renegotiate the terms of their deal. She would deliver Cain to him, but in exchange, she wanted the protection of him and his organization from the myriad enemies that were now coming after her. The Black Mask reluctantly agreed to this deal and she agreed to deliver Cain to the Booby Trap, an abandoned amusement park on Amusement Mile at the Gotham waterfront. She traveled there and tied Cain up, sitting her on a toilet. Having dosed her up with laxatives from the store and greasy food, she hoped that she could get the diamond out of her before someone cut it out of her. Cain, who had come to idolize her, felt betrayed. Then, Renee Montoya showed up. A detective with the Gotham City Police Department, Montoya had been building a case against the Black Mask and was now determined to rescue Cain and the diamond before Black Mask could capture her. Around the same time, Victor Zsasz also arrived, in tow with Dinah Lance, a singer turned personal driver for the Black Mask Club. He had sussed out that Lance had called Montoya and betrayed the group, and was determined to both kill Lance and secure Cain and the diamond once and for all for the Black Mask. Before he could do either, however, Huntress showed up and killed him with her crossbow pistol, making him the last victim of her spree of revenge.
Harley Quinn was caught in the middle of all of this, but before she could do anything else, the Black Mask arrived at the Booby Trap with a small army. She told the group that they were going to have to work together to defeat him, each of them having their own reasons. Renee Montoya was dumb enough to be building a case against him, Dinah Lance because she had betrayed him, the Huntress because he was the mastermind behind those who had killed her family and Cain because he wouldn't stop until he had killed her and secured the diamond. They agreed and the battle began. During the battle, Harley proves her mettle by using her martial arts skills to take down numerous minions of Black Mask. Ultimately, however, she was not able to prevent Cain from being snatched and driven away.
A chase ensued, with Huntress using her motorcycle to pull Harley as he traveled on rollerskates. This enabled Harley to catch up with Black Mask's motorcade. She caused them to crash, but he escaped, taking Cain to a nearby pier. Harley pursued him there, leading to a final confrontation. She told him that it was her that she needed to be afraid of. While he was distracted by her, Cain planted a grenade on him. In the process of trying to find the grenade, he dropped his guard and she kicked him into the water and as he fell, he was blown up by the grenade.
Harley Quinn and Associates
A new beginning
With its leader, the Black Mask's organization dissolved. After forming the Birds of Prey with the unlocked Bertinelli fortune, Black Canary, Huntress and Renee Montoya gave the Bertinelli diamond to Harley Quinn. She and Cain sold it at a pawnshop and used the proceeds to found their own association.
Even after having a traumatized childhood, Harleen Frances Quinzel was once a highly intelligent, calm, and compassionate young lady who worked at Arkham Asylum, before the Joker transformed her both mentally and physically into "Harley Quinn." Through the shock therapy and the Joker's manipulation, her mind and emotions were twisted to the point where she transformed into a person barely recognizable from the woman she once was, becoming a homicidal, sadistic, childlike, and somewhat psychopathic villain, who would use sexuality and her playful personality to achieve her goals or to entertain herself, usually harming others in the process. She followed the Joker in whatever he demanded of her, blindly smitten with the ruthless psychopath, affectionately referring to him as "puddin'," prior to their final breakup.
Harley carries almost an innocent persona, wide-eyed and bright, finding humor in otherwise dark situations, much like Joker himself. After attacking Belle Reve guards and seriously injuring a couple before finally being restrained, she maniacally began giggling to herself in a sinister way, happy and pleased with how funny she found it, showing how fractured her psyche had become.
However, despite her psychopathy, Harley is still highly intelligent, even showing traces of her psychologist expertise, as Harley was able to make swift breakdowns of the psychological profiles of her teammates, knowing exactly what to say in order to get under their skin (proudly referring to herself as "vexing"), though Deadshot calls her out on this. Her intellect also extends itself to tactical skills, as Harley notably assisted the Joker in the murder of Robin, suggested to Deadshot and Captain Boomerang a feasible escape option from the Suicide Squad, and even swiftly improvised a plan to weaken and take down the extremely powerful Enchantress, which proved successful.
Harley is also quite tough and pathologically fearless (another trait she shares with her boyfriend), fighting alongside the Suicide Squad and having fun doing so. With the team, she is shown to get along well with them, once she got to know them a bit better, with Harley acting as a bar tender at a derelict bar. She even seemed horrified before El Diablo's death, imploring Rick Flag not to blow him up even though she knew it was their only way to destroy Incubus.
She has a very dim view on a regular life, stating "normal is a setting on the washer" to El Diablo, who lost his family because of his powers; however, until her emancipation Harley once had the dream of having a family with the Joker, as Enchantress' implanted vision revealed.
Following her breakup with the Joker, Harley Quinn was initially devastated beyond endurance, frequently crying and binging in order to relieve the pain she was going through. As a mark of her pathological fearlessness, she also adopted and tamed a hyena. After her emancipation, she was forced to look out for herself. She was troubled by the specter of those who told her that she couldn't succeed on her own, but quashed those voices to make her own way. Although she at first sought the protection of the Black Mask from the powerful enemies she had made, she eventually displayed remorse at selling out Cassandra Cain to him and turned over a new leaf by fighting off him and his forces before making Cain her apprentice.
Much like Billy Batson, her experiences with her new team have been a journey of renewal for her as she finds a new family that have experienced similar hardships and have similar goals. In addition, her ability to genuinely love, while impaired by her subjection to chemicals, seems to have been restored as her regard for human life increases, albeit to a limited extent, coupled with her gradually realizing that everything people do inevitably carries some form of an aftermath. Despite this, she never truly reached hero status, as most of her decisions were still rather self-serving in nature.
Although often painted as a victim of psychological abuse, the Joker himself claims very little credit for Harley's condition. According to the Clown Prince of Crime, Harley was always mad deep down (simply better at controlling her insanity then most), and that he himself had merely made all her madness rise to the surface. It should be noted, however, that Joker's insanity occasionally induces him to make conclusions that only make sense to him, hence this might not necessarily be the actual case.
- Peak human condition: Harley Quinn, as a highly skilled and experienced supervillain and gymnast, is in top physical condition (from frequent villainous escapades with her boyfriend the Joker) for a woman her age, to the point that she could hold her own against the formidable Eyes of the Adversary troops of Enchantress. She was notably however, far weaker than her nemesis Batman, who subdued her without much effort. She was able to knock down men twice her size and flip onto a moving vehicle with little effort. Harley is also strong enough to break human bones. Harley was also able to easily run while holding a thirty-four pound bag of dog food under one arm, and was later able to easily hoist it into the air with one hand.
- Peak human durability: While not on Batman's level, Harley is extremely sturdy by human standards. She was able to break her fall out of Joker's helicopter, withstand a blow from Incubus, endure being kicked into a car door with enough force to subsequently rip it off, and endure being hit by a car and launched into the side of a van before falling to the ground and remain conscious.
- Peak human agility: Harley is incredibly nimble and agile, being able to perform complex flips, maneuvers, somersaults, and various other acrobatic acts.
- Peak human metabolism: Not only can Harley Quinn hold vast quantities of alcohol, but she also remained conscious after being shot in the neck with a tranquilizer dart by Victor Zsasz. While rescuing Cassandra Cain from the GCPD, Harley inhaled a small amount of cocaine, with its effects only lasting for a short while before wearing off.
- "Come on, I'm bored. I'm bored. Play with me."
"You put five of my guards in the hospital, honey. No one's gonna play with you."
- ―Harley Quinn and Griggs[src]
- Master combatant: Harley Quinn is a highly skilled and formidable armed and hand-to-hand combatant. Although she has no formal training in hand-to-hand combat, it could be due to her years of fighting by Joker's side. When in a fight, Harley uses her acrobatic skills to best her opponents. Harley was able to seriously injure five Belle Reve guards before finally being restrained in an extra secure cell. She also quickly overpowered two far larger Eyes of the Adversary troops of Enchantress in rapid succession with nothing but her agility, combat skills and baseball bat. However, she was swiftly defeated by Batman, with the latter knocking her out with a single mighty punch, and by Enchantress in their final battle. She was able to fight Renee Montoya, an experienced hand-to-hand fighter in her own right. When raiding the GCPD, she was able to take down numerous trained police officers and other criminals in lockup with a combination of acrobatic kicks, swings from her bat, and the use of her custom-made non-lethal grenade launcher. When at the abandoned amusement park, she was able to take out most of Black Mask's thugs singlehandedly while in roller skates.
- Stick mastery: Harley is dangerously skilled with bludgeoning weapons like her mallet and baseball bat. Most notably, she used her baseball bat to take down multiple Eyes of the Adversary and even landed a hit on the Enchantress, though it failed to faze her. When escaping a gang of bounty hunters, she was able to take down a number of them using a baseball bat found in evidence. Later, while fighting Black Mask's criminal organization, Harley utilized a mallet to take down many of them down. Harley was also able to effective utilize her Fun Gun in much the same way to her baseball bat, using it to block blows and using it as a blunt weapon.
- Knife proficiency: Harley is skilled at using knives. Using a karambit against Batman while underwater, attempted to use a razor against guards, and even using a tranquilizer dart to repeatedly stab Victor Zasz. She is also a skilled knife-thrower, based on the knives in the target shaped like Joker's face.
- Master acrobat: Harley Quinn, as a former gymnast, is shown to be highly skilled in various acrobatics, including pole dancing and other agile maneuvers, often incorporating agile moves while fighting opponents, notably able to flip over one monstrous Eye of the Adversary when it managed to get a hold of her, thus twisting herself out of his grasp, and to easily dodge slashes from Enchantress' daggers. After falling out of Joker's helicopter, she broke her fall and effortlessly rolled it off. When raiding the GCPD, she was able to evade attacks from the police officers and other prisoners using a variety of cartwheels and handsprings, as when Renee Montoya had Harley at gunpoint and Harley was able to flip kick the phone she was holding into her face knocking her unconscious. When being tailed by Black Mask she was able to perform a back handspring onto the top of his vehicle to avoid being run down. Harley's athleticism payed off in dividends during her brief career in roller derby.
- Expert markswoman: Harley Quinn, while not nearly on par with Deadshot, is nonetheless a highly skilled markswoman, landing several headshots on some of Enchantress' monstrous Eyes of the Adversary troops, even while performing acrobatic maneuvers. When raiding the GCPD, she was able to shoot several officers in their center mass, as well as some in the face and even one from behind with her Fun Gun. She used Renee Montoya's revolver to shoot a statue (which she believed to be Black Mask) in the head.
- Gifted intelligence: Harley Quinn is exceptionally intelligent, having been an excellent academic achiever in high school, which earned her a full scholarship to the prestigious Gotham State University, where she would go on to write a very successful graduate thesis. Harley's intellect extends itself to her psychological, tactical and deception skills.
- Master psychiatrist: Harley Quinn, while still Harleen Quinzel, was an extremely skilled psychologist, majoring in psychiatry at Gotham State University, with her psychology graduate thesis being a huge success, and allowing her the opportunity to work as a psychologist at the infamous Arkham Asylum itself. Even after being rendered psychopathic by the Joker, Harley shows at least traces of her psychologist expertise, being able to make swift breakdowns of the psychological profiles of El Diablo, Killer Croc, and Katana, knowing exactly what to say in order to get under their skin (criticizing El Diablo for ever thinking he could have a normal life with his powers and for not taking responsibility for the death of his children, judging Killer Croc's exterior aesthetic in addition to his interior and intuiting his need to eat people combined with his hatred for mankind and viewing the world as a sewer, and diagnosing Katana with deep-seated father issues). Hence, she even proudly proclaims to Rick Flag that she is known to be "quite vexing," and later unofficially diagnosed Deadshot as "another textbook sociopath." After her emancipation, she pointed out Black Mask as having a delicate sense of mental equilibrium (which she agitates) and an obsessive-compulsive need to be the center of attention, and understood that he built a criminal empire in a "very misguided" attempt to win back the respect of his father after the latter kicked him out of Janus Corp. She later noted Huntress for her childhood trauma and spoke to her on the topic of revenge, stating that it rarely brings the catharsis that one desires.
- Expert tactician: Harley Quinn, while not quite on par in this regard with her ex-boyfriend Joker, is nonetheless highly skilled with improvising criminal activities, managing to trap and murder Batman's protegé Robin when she was still an adolescent (though she notably had the assistance of Joker in this), to suggest a feasible escape option to Deadshot and Captain Boomerang, and to swiftly improvise a plan to weaken and take down the fearsome and powerful Enchantress in her adulthood. Following her emancipation, she single-handedly destroyed Ace Chemicals (while intoxicated) and she later had Black Mask meet her in familiar territory to hand over Cassandra Cain, knowing she would have weapons in the facility in case the deal went awry.
- Expert deceiver: Harley Quinn is a highly skilled deceiver, thus when Deadshot pretended to shoot at her, she convincingly pretended to have been killed only to reveal that she is still alive and later on, managing to trick Enchantress into thinking that she was about to swear allegiance to the latter, and to subsequently use that distraction to suddenly cut open Enchantress's chest with Katana's sword, exposing and pulling out the supervillain's vulnerable heart. Her proficiency in lying allowed her to recognize Cassandra Cain's own lies regarding the whereabouts of the Bertinelli diamond, pointing out the inflection in her voice and the way she could not maintain eye contact.
- Master escapologist: During her time in Belle Reve, Harley was kept in an electrified cage surrounded by a barbed wire fence, implying she was an expert at escaping normal prison cells. During her skirmish with Renee Montoya, Quinn was able to uncuff herself from Montoya and handcuff Montoya with the former only realizing afterwards.
- Skilled detective: Harley once recovered a rare photograph of a nude Eleanor Roosevelt lost by the Joker, finding it in a bird's nest in Robinson Park.
- Expert cyclist: Harley is highly skilled at driving motorcycles, as she was able to use one to pursue the Joker, and was even able to get move it onto it's side and stay on top of it while moving at high speeds.
- Skilled skater: Harley is a proficient roller skater, as seen during her short lived career in roller derby, as well as during her pursuit of Black Mask to rescue Cassandra Cain.
- Pathological indomitable will: Harley Quinn (much like the Joker) possesses an obliviousness to danger that makes her invulnerable to fear and intimidation, which are usually Batman's greatest weapons in combat. Unlike Joker, however, Harley does seem to fear death, as she was dismayed by the Jokermobile crashing into a river, due to her inability to swim and was distressed when Black Mask threatened to kill her during his interrogation.
- Swimming: Harley Quinn once anxiously confessed that she was unable to swim.
- Mental illness: Harley Quinn's other great weakness is that her insanity occasionally impairs her higher thinking, which is understandably more evident after her breakup than before. However, she often makes up for this with her tactical, strategic, and escapology skills.
- Chiappa Rhino 60DS: Harley sports a customized Chiappa Rhino 60DS, 6 cylinder magnum revolver that she carries it in a black leather holster slung under her arm. Harley used it to take down many of Enchantress' monstrous Eyes of the Adversary goons, and briefly lent it to Deadshot, so that he could destroy the mystical superweapon. Each cylinder has Love or Hate engraved into them.
- Good Night: Harley carries a personalized wooden baseball bat with "Good Night" written down the side of it that she used for close-quarters combat, notably taking down numerous Eyes of the Adversary with it during her assignment in Midway City. This weapon would then be used by Black Canary in their final encounter with Black Mask's criminal organization.
- Baseball bat: Harley used a baseball bat found in police storage while fighting off bounty hunters who sough to claim the bounty on Cassandra Cain.
- Harley Quinn's mallet: Harley carried a personalized wooden mallet that she used during her villainous escapades with her boyfriend the Joker. When the squad was given their old equipment, she almost brought the mallet to Midway City with her but chose to bring her baseball bat instead. She later used this Mallet against Black Mask's henchmen.
- Karambit knife: Harley carried a knife that she tried to use to attack Batman when he saved her from drowning within the submerged Jokermobile.
- Fun Gun: Harley used a M79 grenade launcher with homemade non-lethal ammo to break Cassandra Cain out of jail, even using the grenade launcher itself as an improvised melee weapon.
- Smith & Wesson Model 38 "Bodyguard": Rene gave Harley her snub-nosed revolver, which only had one bullet left. She later used it in an attempt to shoot Black Mask but hit a statue instead.
- Harlequin costume: Harley originally wore a red and black diamond-patterned costume after joining the Joker, completed by a cap with two white balls on the ends. She later ditched the costume in favor of more provocative clothing, instead opting to wear a red and blue bomber jacket with matching short shorts, fishnet stockings, and heeled boots.
- Harley's toy beaver: Harley carries a taxidermied beaver with added accessories where ever she goes.
- Nano-bomb implant: Harley Quinn had a nano-bomb implanted in her neck while operating under Amanda Waller. As a result, if she attempted to flee during a mission, the implant would be triggered and explode, immediately killing her. However, the Joker later disabled the bomb, allowing Harley to escape later.
- Cellphone: Harley was given a purple cellphone from the Joker's phone by Captain Griggs, allowing them to communicate while she was under Amanda Waller's control.
- Roller skates: Harley used a pair of roller skates during the siege at the Booby Trap, and later used them during her pursuit of Black Mask.
- Bertinelli diamond: A valuable diamond that was the key to unlocking the fortune of the Bertinelli crime family. After the Birds of Prey unlocked the fortune to fund their organization, they gave it to Harley and Cassandra Cain and they sold it at a pawn shop to get money to further their own affairs.
- Jokermobile: To be added
- Helicopter: While heading for her mission with the rest of the Suicide Squad, Harley was transported in a helicopter.
- Harley implies that she may have schizophrenia, as she claims to hear voices; she also implies that she sees things that aren't really around as she mentions being "off her meds" upon seeing the Enchantress's magical superweapon.
- In promoting the film, this version of Harley Quinn was added to the mobile version of DC's video game Injustice: Gods Among Us. She, alongside the Joker, was added alongside Deadshot to the game, while members of Suicide Squad were also added as "gear cards."
- According to her mug shot, she was caught by Batman on October 13, 2014.
- According to Zach Snyder, the death of Robin takes place 10 years before the events of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, which takes place in 2015, placing Jason's death in 2005. In Suicide Squad, it is revealed that Harley was involved with Robin's murder. However, Harley was born in 1990, which would have made her 15 at the time of Robin's murder.
- David Ayer later revealed that Harley being implicated in Jason Todd's death was added by the Trailer Park, and not his original intent for the character.
- In the animated prologue of Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn), it was confirmed that Harley dated two men and one woman before dating Joker.
- According to Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn, she voted Bernie Sanders in the 2016 (and most likely 2020) democratic primary election.
- According to David Ayer's original script, Harley Quinn and Deadshot were supposed to be in a relationship. 
- Harley is one of the DCEU characters who appears as a player skin in Fortnite. Her two skin appearances are based on her looks in Suicide Squad and Birds of Prey.
Behind the scenes
- Originally Harley Quinn made her first debut in Batman: The Animated Series. Due to the popularity of her character, she has eventually adapted into the DC Comics universe.
- This is Harley's first appearance in a movie adaptation, while it is her third live-action appearance. She plays the role of the main antagonist in the TV series Birds of Prey, and her second brief appearance was in the TV series Arrow. However, her first planned live-action appearance was planned to be in the canceled fifth Batman: The Motion Picture Anthology film, Batman Unchained.
- According to Andrew Kreisberg, Harley Quinn was planned to appear in more episodes of Arrow, but Willa Holland stated that the idea was dropped because of the introduction of Quinn in the DC Extended Universe. She appears in the Arrow episode, "Suicide Squad" and in a deleted scene of "Unthinkable."
- According to Margot Robbie, she received each of the suits that Harley Quinn has worn in all her appearances in DC Comics media during the production of the movie, such as the suit of Batman: The Animated Series, or the suit of the Batman: Arkham video game franchise.
- David Ayer had Margot Robbie in mind for the role of Harley Quinn. However, Emma Roberts was offered the role by Warner Bros, but she turned it down. Olivia Thirlby, Imogen Poots, Alison Brie, Rooney Mara, Olivia Wilde, Emma Watson, Emily Browning, Zooey Deschanel, Lily Collins, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Sara Paxton, Amanda Seyfried, and Evan Rachel Wood were also considered for the role of Harley Quinn.
- Regarding her character, Margot Robbie stated that "It's hard to find a character who gives you as many options as an actor" and that "She can be vulnerable. She can be making terrible decisions...but she's very smart."
- Ingrid Kleinig, Margot Robbie, Melissa R. Stubbs, Renae Moneymaker and Michelle Steilen were stunt doubles for Margot Robbie in the role of Harley Quinn.
- Harley Quinn in the DC Extended Universe is the second live-action incarnation of the character, following an incarnation portrayed by Mia Sara.
Posters & Banners
Promotional stills and screencaps
Posters & Banners
Promotional stills and screencaps
Behind the scenes
Behind the scenes
- ↑ Harley Quinn's criminal record
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 Ayer, David (writer and director) (August 5, 2016). Suicide Squad.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 3.8 3.9 Hodson, Christina (writer) & Yan, Cathy (director) (February 7, 2020). Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn).
- ↑ Goyer, David S., Terrio, Chris (writers) & Snyder, Zack (director) (March 25, 2016). Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.
- ↑ Bedard, Tony (2016). Suicide Blonde.
- ↑ David Ayer (@DavidAyerMovies) on Twitter - May 18, 2020
- ↑ 'Birds of Prey' cast brings mayhem to 'Harleywood' at Hollywood and Highland pop-up. On the Red Carpet, via ABC13 (January 24, 2020). Retrieved on January 26, 2020.
|Task Force X|
|Members||Rick Flag (leader) | Captain Boomerang | Deadshot | Katana | Killer Croc | Bloodsport | Polka-Dot Man | Ratcatcher 2 | King Shark | Peacemaker | TDK | Weasel | Javelin | Blackguard | Mongal | Thinker | Savant|
|Former members||Enchantress | June Moone | Slipknot | El Diablo | Harley Quinn|