- "All of existence shall be mine."
Darkseid (born Uxas) is an ancient and all-powerful cosmic warlord that reigns over Apokolips and desires to rule the universe with the Anti-Life Equation. Because of this tyrannical goal, he is the archnemesis of the Justice League, the champions of the planet Earth.
Thousands of years ago, on the planet Apokolips, a powerful being called Uxas gained access to the Anti-Life Equation. Desperate to try out this new power to rule the universe, Uxas traveled to the planet Earth with an enormous army, planning to use the weak world as a test run. Unfortunately for him, the native beings of that world, four powerful races known as Humans, Atlanteans, Amazons, and Olympians, formed their own army to protect their world, even calling in help from wizards and the Green Lantern Corps. Uxas managed to activate the Equation, but was defeated by Ares and was forced to retreat with his army, the Equation being taken from him as he did so. A furious Uxas was undeterred and vowed to claim the Equation again, renaming himself Darkseid to show that he was above failure.
Refocusing on the Terran populace
After fighting the Justice League tirelessly, Darkseid got his hands on the Anti-Life Equation, which was stolen from him thousands of years prior. After preparing his armies, he returned to Earth to begin his conquest of the universe. While fighting the League this time, Darkseid killed Lois Lane, allowing Superman to succumb to the Anti-Life Equation. He then became the ruler of Earth, transforming it into a hellscape wasteland with Superman as his leading general to replace his late uncle, tasked to use the Regime to take down the Insurgency, the human/metahuman rebellion against the forces of Apokolips. The Insurgency fought well, but after years of fighting, most Insurgents were either converted to Parademons or were dead, and the Batman, the Insurgency founder and leader, was killed by Superman, leaving only the Flash and Cyborg to stand against the Regime.
Darkseid appears to be the ultimate living personification of destruction, megalomania, and ruthlessness. He appears to be a being of pure and utter malevolence, seemingly focused solely on his own mission to obtain the Anti-Life Equation, which in turn would enforce the submission of all life in the universe.
Powers and abilities
- New God physiology: As the ruler of Apokolips, Darkseid is one of the most powerful of the New Gods, superior even to Steppenwolf, who would not dare challenge him despite having grown tired from being subservient to Darkseid.
- Immortality: Darkseid is immortal, having ruled Apokolips for many eons.
- Omega Beams: Darkseid is able to emit concentrated rays of energy from his eyes capable of following his target.
- Invulnerability: To be added
- Leadership skills: Being the ruler of Apokolips and having the absolute loyalty of all his New God subjects, it is certain that Darkseid is an extremely skillful leader.
- Mother Boxes: Darkseid and his forces utilize Mother Boxes to travel throughout space and terraform conquered planets.
- Staff: To be added
- Anti-Life Equation: To be added
- The events of Justice League portrayed Darkseid's history fairly differently than in the main canon retconned into place by Zack Snyder's Justice League.
- Steppenwolf lead the first invasion of Earth, planning to terraform it to be like Apokolips. His failure had Darkseid exile him.
- The Anti-Life Equation doesn't seem to be part of Darkseid's plan.
- There is no mention of his birth name, Uxas.
- He is never seen onscreen.
- His familial relation to Steppenwolf is never addressed.
- He is only mentioned by name, and even then only once, implying Steppenwolf to be a much bigger threat.
Behind the scenes
- In DC Comics, Uxas, the younger pre-Darkseid version of the character, was pure hatred personified. He was the son of Yuga Khan (the ruler of Apokolips) and Heggra. Uxas wanted the throne for himself even though his brother, Drax, was next in the line of succession. Turning on Drax, Uxas stopped him from gaining the power of the Omega Force and claimed the power for himself, becoming the ruler of Apokolips taking the name "Darkseid". A merciless tyrant who demanded unwavering devotion and abject fear from all his subjects. He was a major player in the cosmic war that was the Final Crisis.
- Darkseid in the DC Extended Universe will be the second live-action incarnation of the character, following an incarnation made by CGI. That being said, the seeds have been laid in the Arrowverse for Darkseid and the New Gods to appear for some time.
- Storyboard details of Zack Snyder's original cut of Justice League shows that Darkseid was supposed to be introduced in the film. The storyboard shows an alternate storyline, in which Superman had a vision of the Mother Boxes successfully merging to form the Unity and destroy the Earth, leading to the dark possible future Batman witnessed in his vision.
- A deleted scene from Justice League showed Diana visiting Themyscira and learning about Darkseid and Steppenwolf's previous invasion on a mural.
- The familial relation of Darkseid and Steppenwolf varied while Justice League was still in production. Versions of the script had Darkseid and Steppenwolf as brothers, the children of Heggra, but the final version has Darkseid as Steppenwolf's nephew.
- In Zack Snyder's Justice League, Darkseid was portrayed by Ray Porter, providing the character's voice and motion capture.
- Zack Snyder Reveals Full Look at Young Darkseid in 'Justice League'
- Terrio, Chris (writer) & Snyder, Zack (director) (2021). Zack Snyder's Justice League.
- Deleted Darkseid Scene From 'Justice League' Revealed In Zack Snyder Storyboard
- Justice League Photos Reveal Deleted Invasion History Lesson & Darkseid