Harley purchased him at Murray's Exotic Animals. Her excited reaction upon seeing him suggested that it was love at first sight. However, after Dave Murray implied that he'll accept sex as payment, he became the hyena's meal. The hyena, named Bruce, then lived happily with Harley following the breakup. She kept him in a small bathtub within her flat.
He was present when Harley Quinn brought Cassandra Cain into her flat and Harley introduced him. Cassandra was a bit stunned at first by him being a hyena, but quickly grown used to the idea. Harley pet him and shared licorice with him. When the flat was attacked following Doc selling her out, Harley believed him to have been lost in the explosions. She was delighted to find him alive once her problems are resolved, having spent a night wandering her neighborhood.
Despite being a spotted hyena, Bruce has somehow managed to be domesticated. Harley Quinn treats him essentially like a friendly dog. He is quite loving towards her and she shares licorice with him, him eating one end her the other. He is alright around other people as well, sharing the room with Cassandra Cain without bothering her and spending a night on the streets of Gotham City without apparently harming anyone. When Quinn tells Cain that she named him Bruce after Bruce Wayne, he gives a hearty chuckle in response.
- Dave Murray † - former owner and seller turned victim
- Harley Quinn named him after Bruce Wayne.
- At the end of the film's credits, Harley reveals that she knows a secret about Batman, but gets cut off before she can reveal it. It is unknown if this means she is privy to Batman's secret identity or not.
- After learning he survived at the end of the movie, Harley remarks that he must truly have nine lives (like a cat). Hyenas are indeed more closely related to cats than dogs, albeit a distant outlying member of the Feliformia family. Their body shape became more like Canids due to convergent evolution.
- Bruce is likely a reference to Bud and Lou, the pet hyenas the Joker and Harley Quinn kept as pets in the animated series.
Behind the scenes
- According to Margot Robbie, a real hyena was considered for the role of Bruce. However, the hyena they wanted to use proved to be to difficult, so they used a large dog as a base, and CGI was then added in post-production to make the dog look more like a hyena.
- Hodson, Christina (writer) & Yan, Cathy (director) (February 7, 2020). Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn).
- Gunn, James (writer and director) (August 6, 2021). The Suicide Squad.
- Prison Files for different Suicide Squad members posted on the HBO Max Instagram : DCFilm
- Riddlehoover, John (January 31, 2020). Harley Quinn and Birds of Prey Actually Considered Shooting With a Real Hyena. CBR. Retrieved on March 3, 2020.