This article contains spoilers from the most recent DCEU film. You have been warned.
Dinah Lance, also known by her alias Black Canary, is the former resident chanteuse at the Black Mask Club and former personal chauffeur for Roman Sionis. She is currently a member of the vigilante team Birds of Prey.
Losing her Mother
While growing up, Dinah Lance's mother utilized her metahuman ability to produce supersonic vibrations through her scream in service Gotham City Police Department during many heroic exploits as a vigilante; however, she was killed and left on the streets. As such, Dinah harbors resentment towards them for not saving her mother and vowed not to use her power to become a hero like her mother.
She worked as a singer for Roman Sionis, the Black Mask as his club, entertaining guests with her powerful performance of songs such as "It's a Man's Man's Man's World." She did not aspire to anything more, but when Sionis observed her using her powerful martial arts skills to ward off people attacking Harley Quinn, he decided to hire her as his new driver.
While at his club, she witnessed him intimidating a woman whom he thought had laughed him by making her stand and dance on a table and then stripping her of her dress. Seeing this disgusted her and she decided at that moment to turn upon him.
The death of her mother left her jaded and she was determined to keep a low profile and never get involved in any sort of crime-fighting work. She was at first submissive to Sionis, singing at his club and agreeing to be his driver. However, after witnessing his brutality against women, she realized that she could no longer simply stand by and found courage within her to betray him.
Powers and Abilities
- Sonic Scream: Inheriting the meta-gene from her mother, Dinah can produce supersonic vibrations in the form of shockwaves through her scream. Lance's sonic scream is highly potent in combat situations against numerous attackers, as she is capable of disabling opponents by hurtling them backward through the air with concussive force alone. However, using this power for a prolonged period will exhaust her to the point of fainting. The very nadir of her ability is shattering glass, as seen when she performed on stage.
- Peak Human Condition: Despite her height and slim body, Dinah is in great physical condition, having enough strength to defeat men much larger than her, even kicking one of the Black Mask henchmen quite far from her.
- Master Martial Artist: Dinah is a talented mixed martial artist whose frequent execution of high and low kicks emphasizes her particular specialization in kickboxing, Savate, Muay Thai, Taekwondo, and Karate. In combat, Canary typically stays grounded and agile while using powerful kicks for her offense entirely. She was able to defeat Black Mask's henchmen even while putting on a hair tie.
- Stick Expertise: Dinah can use stick-based weapons in combat. This is seen when she used Harley's Good Night baseball bat when fighting Black Mask's men.
- Expert Markswoman: Dinah is skilled at using firearms, best seen during her fight with Black Mask's men.
- Singer: Due to her superhuman abilities to manipulate the sound with her throat, Dinah is an extremely formidable singer, formerly working as the Black Mask bar singer. She sang "It's A Man's Man's Man's World" at Black Mask's club.
- Gun: To be added
- Knife: To be added
- Good Night: Dinah used Harley's baseball bat when fighting Black Mask's men.
To be added
Behind the Scenes
- Anisha Gibbs and Bethany Levy were stunt doubles for Jurnee Smollett-Bell in the role of Black Canary.
- ↑ Hodson, Christina (writer) & Yan, Cathy (director) (February 7, 2020). Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn).