This article is about upcoming content and is subject to change. You can help the DC Extended Universe Wiki by when it becomes available.
Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom is an upcoming superhero film based on the DC Comics superhero of the same name. The film is the sequel to Aquaman. It will be the thirteenth installment in the DC Extended Universe, and is scheduled for release on March 17, 2023.
Directed by James Wan, the film will star Jason Momoa as Arthur Curry/Aquaman, Amber Heard as Princess Mera, Willem Dafoe as Nuidis Vulko, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II as David Kane/Black Manta, Patrick Wilson as Prince Orm Marius, Willem Dafoe as Nuidis Vulko, Dolph Lundgren as King Nereus, Temuera Morrison as Tom Curry, Vincent Regan as King Atlan, Randall Park as Dr. Stephen Shin, Indya Moore as Karshon, and Jani Zhao as Stingray. Additionally, Pilou Asbæk has been cast in an undisclosed role.
To be added
- Jason Momoa as King Arthur Curry/Aquaman
- Amber Heard as Princess Mera
- Willem Dafoe as Nuidis Vulko
- Yahya Abdul-Mateen II as David Kane/Black Manta
- Patrick Wilson as Prince Orm Marius
- Dolph Lundgren as King Nereus
- Temuera Morrison as Tom Curry
- Nicole Kidman as Queen Atlanna
- Jani Zhao as Stingray
- Indya Moore as Karshon
- Vincent Regan as King Atlan
- Randall Park as Dr. Stephen Shin
- Ben Affleck as Bruce Wayne/Batman
- Michael Keaton as Bruce Wayne/Batman
- Pilou Asbæk
To be added
To be added
In December 2018, The Hollywood Reporter announced via Warner Bros. Pictures' chairman, Toby Emmerich, that the studio was developing a sequel. Discussions of a followup film began during post-production when director James Wan confirmed to TotalFilm that the first film left room for further stories. Aquaman lead Jason Momoa announced to SyfyWire that he had the beginning for a sequel planned out, and that after a pitch to the studio through Emmerich and Safran, they were receptive and enthusiastic about his ideas. On November 26, 2019, Variety reported that Warner Bros. was hoping production on the film would begin in early 2021. On August 22, 2020, during the "Aquaman 2" panel for DC FanDome, James Wan revealed that the tone for the film would be more serious compared to its predecessor. Aquaman star Patrick Wilson expressed excitement for the potential world building in the sequel, which Wan went on to confirm would definitely be something the audience would get to see. Later, Wan went on to promise that he'd have 'splashy stuff to share' in 2022, since at the time he was in the early secretive stages of planning/designing for the film. On April 15, 2021, it was reported Pilou Asbæk joined the film in an undisclosed role. On June 10, 2021, director James Wan posted a picture on Instagram revealing the film's title to be Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom., On August 12, 2021, Rupert Gregson-Williams confirmed in a podcast he will return to score the film.
On March 9, 2022, the film was pushed back once more to March 17, 2023. Warner Bros has clarified that VFX/CGI issues and the COVID-19 Pandemic was the cause of the pushback.
On March 12, 2021, it was reported that production on the film would begin in June in the United Kingdom, under the working title "Necrus". In May 2021, Jason Momoa confirmed in an appearance on The Drew Barrymore Show that the film would being shooting in July.
On June 28, 2021, James Wan announced on Instagram that they had officially begun filming.
On December 9, 2021, Jason Momoa announced filming had wrapped. In May 2022, Walter Hamada confirmed Warner Bros. had considered recasting Mera with another actress, and that the role of Mera was not "pared down" but remained static since 2018.
On July 28, 2022, it was reported that Ben Affleck would be returning as Bruce Wayne/Batman in the film. This was confirmed by Jason Momoa himself who posted photos and video of Affleck accompanying him on the set of the film.
In August 3, 2022, The Hollywood Reporter noted that multiple sources had actually reported on Michael Keaton having filmed a scene for the film.
- Aquaman 2 - Writers Guild of America West
- "Jason Momoa has already pitched his plan for Aquaman 2 to Warner Bros." - Syfy Wire
- The Warner Bros. UK 2022 Movie Preview
- Amber Heard Expects To Return As Mera In Aquaman 2
- ‘Aquaman 2’ Director James Wan Reveals Title for DC Movie Sequel
- ‘Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom’ Wraps Production, James Wan and Cast Celebrate
- "When To Expect Aquaman 2, According To Yahya Abdul-Mateen II" - CINEMABLEND
- "'Midway' Star Patrick Wilson on HBO's 'Watchmen,' 'Aquaman 2' and 'Conjuring 3'" - The Hollywood Reporter
- AQUAMAN 2: Patrick Wilson Confirmed For Ocean Master Return As James Wan Promises More Relevant Sequel
- Dolph Lungren talks about reprising Nereus in Aquaman sequel.
- "Aquaman 2: Temuera Morrison on returning to DC Comics series in The Lost Kingdom" - Express
- "‘Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom’ Casts Indya Moore, Jani Zhao and Vincent Regan (Exclusive)" - The Hollywood Reporter
- Ben Affleck's Batman Confirmed to Return for Aquaman 2
- Behind the Cancellation of ‘Batgirl’
- ‘Aquaman 2’: ‘Game Of Thrones’ Alum Pilou Asbaek Joins Jason Momoa In Sequel
- "‘Aquaman 2’ Will Again Feature James Wan’s Horror Sensibilities" - /Film
- "Amber Heard on Her Secret Passion, Elon Musk and a Splashy New Role" - The Hollywood Reporter
- "DC Films Plots Future With Superman, Green Lantern and R-Rated Movies (EXCLUSIVE)" - Variety
- Aquaman film panel - DC Fandome
- Fandom (@getFANDOM) - Twitter
- James Wan Reveals 'Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom'
- Warner Bros Release Dates: ‘The Flash’ & ‘Aquaman’ Moved To 2023; ‘Wonka’, ‘Shazam’ Sequel & Others Shift – Updated - Deadline
- ‘Aquaman 2’ Eyes June 2021 Filming Start In UK (EXCLUSIVE)
- Aquaman 2 Starts Filming in July, Confirms Jason Momoa - Screen Rant
- James Wan on Instagram - June 28, 2021
- The Aquaverse on Twitter
|Films in the DC Extended Universe|
|Released||Man of Steel • Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice • Suicide Squad • Wonder Woman • Justice League • Aquaman • Shazam! • Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) • Wonder Woman 1984 • Zack Snyder's Justice League • The Suicide Squad|
|Upcoming||Black Adam • Shazam! Fury of the Gods • Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom • The Flash • Blue Beetle|
|In development||The Amazons • Black Canary • Supergirl • Wonder Woman 3 • Zatanna • Green Lantern Corps|