However, following the War of the Gods, the Amazons seceded from the world, eternally training for their battle against the God of War.
- "So the gods created us, the Amazons, to influence men's hearts with love and restore peace to the Earth."
- ―Hippolyta to Diana[src]
After Ares first attempted to corrupt mankind, Zeus and the other Old Gods created the Amazons in order to spread love and compassion throughout the world to counter Ares' effects and machinations. They brought a brief period of peace upon the world.
- "But before the Unity could Synchronize, the defenders of Earth attacked and fought as one. Amazons alongside Atlanteans. Zeus and his son Ares alongside the guardians from the sky. A golden age of heroes fighting together to defend Life on Earth."
- ―Diana to Bruce Wayne[src]
Some time before the War of the Gods, the Amazons joined with the Atlanteans, Humans, Old Gods, and the Green Lantern Yalan Gur in fighting off an Apokoliptan invasion of Earth led by Darkseid and his massive Parademon army. Before being forced to depart, Darkseid left behind three Mother Boxes, and each of the three factions of the army that helped save Earth would be given one of them to hide and guard.
- "Your mother, the Amazon Queen, led a revolt that freed us all from enslavement."
- ―Antiope to Diana[src]
As Ares slowly became engulfed in his jealousy towards mankind, his corruption of humanity led to their betrayal of the Amazons. The Amazons were forced into enslavement by the very people they were created to protect. Rallied under the leadership of Hippolyta, the Amazons freed themselves from captivity, while the Old Gods were slain by Ares one by one. In his final duel, Ares was banished to the realm of Man by his father, Zeus, and left severely crippled and unable to regain his full strength.
As the War of the Gods neared its end, princess Diana was born as the daughter of Zeus and Queen Hippolyta. Zeus used the last of his power to create the island of Themyscira where the Amazons would be safe from Ares, able to train for their eventual return to the realm of Man and the battle against the God of War. Diana also was eventually trained in combat tactics by her aunt, Antiope, in order to eventually fulfill her role as the "God Killer" and defeat Ares once and for all.
- "You have been my greatest love. Today, you are my greatest sorrow."
- ―Hippolyta say goodbye to Diana[src]
On November 6, 1918, during World War I, The German army pursues Steve Trevor to Themyscira, where the Amazons' attack against them breaks out. Orana is the first Amazon to be killed in the skirmish, while Antiope sacrifices herself to save Diana.
- "We have to light the ancient warning fire."
"The fire has not burned for 5,000 years. Men won't know what it means."
"Men won't. She will."
- ―Hippolyta and Menalippe[src]
On January 21, 2017, during the War for Earth, Steppenwolf goes to Themyscira, where the first mother box is located. Despite the Amazons' efforts to escape with the box, their defense ultimately fails. Queen Hippolyta attempts to escape with the mother box after sealing Steppenwolf inside the chamber, but Steppenwolf retrieves the mother box before Hippolyta and her Amazons can do anything.
Later, Hippolyta contacts her daughter Diana to alert her to Steppenwolf's arrival on Earth.
Although Amazons are generally similar to human women in appearance, they are distinguished from them by their remarkable beauty and extreme physical strength. Interestingly though, they appear to resemble various human races, from all across the globe, which may indicate Zeus purposely created them to resemble humans. Amazons also possess enhanced strength, coordination, stamina and agility, further honed by their years of combat training. In addition, although they only seem to be young women at their best, many Amazons have lived for centuries in Themyscira. This gives them a form of immortality. However, they are not invincible and can be killed.
The Amazons also possess an improved intellect that allows them to quickly learn and adapt. Additionally, the Amazons were gifted with the ability to innately understand all human languages, including those currently dead such as Ancient Greek, Latin, Sumerian or Turkish Ottoman. Presumably, their incredible learning capability allows them to quickly learn non-human languages as well.
- Bracelets of Submission
- God Killer
- Lasso of Hestia
- Sword of Athena
- Wonder Woman's armor
- Wonder Woman's first shield
- Asteria's armor
- Faora-Ul is referred to as an "alien Amazon" in Man of Steel: The Official Movie Novelization.
- When first introduced in the DC Comics universe, Mercy Graves was revealed to be Amazonian in disguise. However, this was later retconned.
- Diana mentioned that she has read literature that was written after the War of the Gods, indicating that Themyscira may have made smaller contacts with the outside world, possibly in the form of shipwrecks and other items that washed up ashore.
- At one point in their history, the Amazons went to war with the Atlanteans, who were once their allies against the forces of Apokolips.
|Individuals||Hippolyta (queen) | Diana | Antiope † | Menalippe | Venelia † | Phillipus | Acantha | Orana † | Timandra | Artemis | Aella | Penthesilea † | Egeria | Niobe | Trigona † | Euboea † | Epione | Mnemosyne | Eliana | Asteria|
|Equipment||Arrow of Artemis | Asteria's armor | Bracelets of Submission | God Killer | Lasso of Hestia | Sword of Athena | Wonder Woman's armor | Wonder Woman's first shield | Wonder Woman's second shield | Wonder Woman's third sword|
|Other||Themyscira | Themyscira throne room | Themyscira armory | Themyscira infirmary | Amazonian coliseum | Amazon Games|