- "The Joker and I? Our love bloomed in a highly toxic industrial processing plant."
- ―Harley Quinn[src]
Ace Chemicals was a chemical manufacturing facility in the heart of Gotham City's industrial district.
Following a breakup with the Joker, Harley Quinn commandeered and crashed a vehicle into the facility, which caused a chain reaction that ignited and leveled the entire building.
Birth of the Joker
Sometime in the past, an unknown man fell into a vat of chemical solutions at the Ace Chemicals, resurfacing transformed into the Joker, with white skin and chemically dyed green hair.
Birth of the Harley Quinn
After Doctor Harleen Quinzel helped the Joker break out of Arkham Asylum, the Joker brought her to Ace Chemicals. There, he asked her to test her devotion to him by performing a trust fall into a vat of chemical solution below. She did so and was soon followed by the Joker who likewise dived in to retrieve her. The Joker pulled Quinzel to the surface, where it was revealed that her skin had been bleached white, much like that of the Joker's, and the two embraced and kissed.
Sometime later, Joker broke up with Harley Quinn, who took it very badly. After a long night of drinking, she decided to announce her emancipation to the entire world. As part of her plan she commandeered and crashed a vehicle into the plant, causing a chain reaction that leveled the building.
Behind the scenes
- In DC Comics, Ace Chemicals is noted as the birthplace of the Joker.
- The sign on the front gate of Ace Chemicals says Janus Corp. which could mean that Janus may own Ace Chemicals.
- Wolfman, Marv (August 5, 2016). Suicide Squad: The Official Movie Novelization. Great Britain: Titan Books.
- Suicide Squad: The Official Movie Novelization
- Gayden, Henry, Lemke, Darren (writer) & Sandberg, David F. (director) (April 5, 2019). Shazam!.
- Ayer, David (writer and director) (August 5, 2016). Suicide Squad.
- Hodson, Christina (writer) & Yan, Cathy (director) (February 7, 2020). Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn).